And the crowd favorite is???

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by rjzeller, Mar 25, 2005.

1. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any "favorite" or "memorable" orchestra moments they'd like to share. One thing I love about live concerts is no matter how tightly programmed, you can often be suprised by what ends up happening. Here's two of my favorite moments (both compliments of the MO):

1) Summerfest series, I forget which year, they had Leonard Slatkin as a guest conductor. WHAT A CONCERT!!!! I mean, boy did I ever get my money's worth!!!! It was the summer of '95, and the main headliner for the program was "Pictures at an Exhibition" with one slight caveat -- each section was arranged by a different composer. Slatkin provided us with a wonderfully colorful interpretation. But that was not what made this concert special.
    What made this concert Grand was the encore! After the applaus had ended, Slatkin comes out and proceeds to give us an encore performance of Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony! This happens to be my favorite composer and one of my most favorite symphonies. It was pure musical heaven. The only thing closer to musical sex than this was playing Russian Christmas Music with the Rochester Civic Music Concert Band!

My only problem with that is I really can't remember the original program due to how excited I was over the encore. I THINK it was Pictures, but it may have been Carmina Burana (I know, I know..."how could you forget something like that?" I dunno, but I could. Everything they play is just so dang good...).

Now for #2....

2) Doc presented a pops concert one year which I will NEVER forget. After playing a bunch of crowd pleasers, he finishes with Largo Al Factotum from Il Barbiere Di Siviglia (arranged for trumpet solo, of course!!!). The concert was a gas, but the way it ended I will never forget.

Doc is playing away and you can tell he's buidling for a screamer at the end. Well...he hit it, but you could tell he kinda flubbed it a bit (not bad, and I'd say 99% of those in the audience -- the non-trumpeters -- probalby would have never noticed). They finish up and he grabs the mic and announces to the audience, "I didn't really hit that last note quiiiite the way I wanted to. I'm the director so I get to do it over again if I want..." And he did. THey started mid-way through the piece and finished with him screaming the last note.

And no, he didn't flub it at all that time. The only other time I've ever seen a director do something like that was in Columbus, OH, when the conductor literally stopped a performance to ask an audience member to be quiet or leave.

I loved it because I got to hear Doc sound mortal, followed by Doc proving to my why HE's on stage and I'm sitting in the stands drooling...

(Manny -- maybe you can "correct" my memory of the summerfest program???)

AT any rate, the first was truly amazing. I love Slatkin's conducting. Makes me wish I had paid more attention to the St. Louis symphony when I was growing up in Missouri.

2. student trumpet

student trumpet Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    My favorite moment is also is with the MO and Slatkin. on the concert was Rite of Spring and Billy the Kid. that was AWSOME :thumbsup:

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey Rich,

Do you remember who was conducting the orchestra while Doc was playing the Rossini?

ML

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    ;-)

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Mikey remembers!

Yup, it was I, your faithful forum host. One of the great thrills of my life to accompany my hero, Doc.

ML

6. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    REally??

I made the mistake (now even bigger than I realise) of settling for third tier seats for that concert so I could take a friend (it was the only spot they had two seats side-by-side), and it was on the right side. Unfortunately, part of the view of the stage was blocked, so I couldn't tell who was conducting.

That's was the last time I purchased seats like that, and now I'm SURE never to settle for second-rate seats.

My friend will just have to sit by himself nextime!

I'll be you LOVED directing it!! I've always dreamed of leading an orchestra like that. I've gotten to lead local concert bands and high school bands a few times, and I can say it's no easy chore. But to lead the MO....well....ML just gives me one more reason to envy him!