...and the envelope , please... it's Osmo!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Gentle sight-readers,

So, have you heard about our boy, Osmo Vanska? He's our music director and , get this:

He was just named "Conductor of the Year" by Musical America magazine. That's the magazine that is the standard for artists in the music biz. It lists who's who in the orchestral, chamber, and solo world and who represents them (artist manager types). This is a pretty big deal. Wynton has been recognized by them, Gerry Schwarz, just to mention a couple of trumpeters, past and present. Wynton was last year's artist of the year, I believe.

I'm glad to see it, though, I must say. It's been a bit of a frustration playing in an orchestra that plays at the level of the "big five" and still feel like the world's best kept secret. A lot of it was the stupidity of the name change from the Minneapolis Symphony during the late sixties. People are STILL confused about the identity of this band after almost 35 years, if you can believe it.

The other problem was the lack of vision when it came to international and national exposure after the name change. Significant tours and a recording blitz that should have followed simply did not happen. Do you the most embarrasing thing that ever happened to this orchestra? It was when they went on tour shortly after the change and nobody came to a huge concert in Mexico City because the public thought it was the University of Minnesota Orchestra. Is that pathetic or what? It was like changing the name of the Cleveland Orchestra to the Ohio Symphony and then cutting back all recording to, say, one a year.

Well, thanks to the recent recordings in the last ten years with Eiji and three world tours we're back on the map but it always feels like we're playing catch-up. Now we've got these frigging budget cuts and so we're following this grand announcement about Osmo with a tour of...

Sauk Rapids, Minnesota and other such major urban centers.

Now, before you all get your knickers in a twist about the importance of playing small towns, save it. I love going to smaller towns and playing for people that don't get to hear us. HOWEVER, I believe this should be part of the season on a annual basis and not be in place of a larger international or domestic tour.

Boy, this has turned into a rant. Sorry, but it gets a bit old feeling like you're relegated to kissing your sister.

Well, no matter. In '06 London awaits and we'll be bringing Mahler 5 to the Proms concerts. We'll be continuing recording the Beethoven cycle. This year is 1, 3, 6, and 8. Next season will be the 2, 7, and finally 9.
    Four and five will be released this January. I believe that what they're planning for our next Carnegie trip will be a week's residency and we'll play all 9 symphonies.

So, that's the news and accompanying rant for today. Have a good one.

ML

2. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Manny,

What group did you say you play with again? (That's a joke).

3. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Kissing your sister?

Since when do you play in the Alabama Symphony?

;-)

Hoo boy, am I going to get it now...............

:oops:

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    That's Arkansas, Mikey.

Manny, where will ya'll be performing that Mahler 5? I'll go across seas, but I wanna hear this!

5. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    London awaits indeed!

What was the orchestra called before the name change (forgive my ignorance!)

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Manny writes "Now, before you all get your knickers in a twist about the importance of playing small towns, save it. I love going to smaller towns and playing for people that don't get to hear us. HOWEVER, I believe this should be part of the season on a annual basis and not be in place of a larger international or domestic tour. "

How about the Toronto Sympony Orchestra's teaching/performing tours ... of the ARCTIC! Now that's "small town"! (Must have driven the non-brass players nuts trying to keep the temperature and humidity up where their instruments wouldn't get damaged!

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Hi Michael, the proms are in the Royal Albert Hall, and the BBC will cover them all on Radio 3, meaning all you overseas folks can listen in online.

They're currently developing a 'listen again' service in mp3 (at the moment they are streams in .ra format) - so that might be in place by 06.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Jack, their "listen again" format works just fine. It's simply that the player runs from "within" the BBC website so you don't have the option of being able to save the broadcast so it might get written over within the next week or two if you happen to miss it. Still, those BBC Radio websites contain a wealth of fantastic music in all genres.

Hope the recently announced cuts in BBC budget don't affect this valuable service. (We Canadians do get some of the BBC news through local feeds... http://www.CKUA.ORG is the oldest public radio station in Canada and has a wealth of music broadcasting online.. and they use BBC World NewsService once or twice a day.)

Ed

9. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I'm pretty sure the budget cuts wouldn't affect this.

I know the foreign office funds the World Service - not sure if they extend their funding to the online BBC?

Jack.

10. gordygourmet

gordygourmet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    St. Cloud
    Come on Manny, Sauk Rapids is a budding suburb of St. Cloud. Of course, some would contend that St. Cloud is a budding suburb of Minneapolis. Seriously though, are you really coming up this way? With your three concerts a year a St. Ben's, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Oh, and this is a great forum! Thanks a lot for your time and wonderful insight.

patrick thorn