Andante and Allegro (Ropartz)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blazing Asian, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    I am learning this wonderful piece for state convention and I was wondering if anybody had a nice recording of this piece (besides the amateurs on youtube). I have most of the rhythm down, now I need to start inserting some style. Thank You!

2. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Try the CD

"Contest Solos for Young Trumpeters" - by Phil Smith which you can get thru ITG.

You can also get a nice MMO (Music Minus One recording with the accompaniment.)

Seth Moore

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I couldn't find one without going well out of my way.
    My teacher said he thought there was one on a large collection of contest piece recordings but i didn't find it :dontknow:

4. Chris Houser

Chris Houser New Friend

Jan 11, 2006
    Mpls
    The Phil Smith recording is an excellent one and is also available through his own web site (principaltrumpet.com). Also, after a quick search on Amazon I found the following: recordings by Tom Stevens, Joshua Whitehouse, Thomas Duis and John Hagstrom. I have the Smith, Whitehouse and Stevens CD's all are well worth having.
    Good luck with this piece. It is a fun time and well worth learning. I teach this one to most of my high school students and they all love it.

Chris

5. eskimojoe

eskimojoe Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2008
    that's a fun solo. good luck with it!!

6. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    John Hagstrom has a really good recording of it. It is available on iTunes. If you search music for trumpet and winds you will find his CD with the DePaul Wind Ensemble. It's an amazing CD and i would recommend picking one up.

7. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
  8. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    Are there any differences between the different published versions of this sheet music (Ropartz, Andante et Allegro)? I've seen three publishers listed (Southern Music, Carl Fischer, and Hickman). Which one would be best for the National Trumpet Competition (Junior Division)?

9. scotty_92_11

scotty_92_11 New Friend

Dec 6, 2008
    i'm working on this solo as well but I cn't find a good recording either. :((

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    trumpet dad, ask the band director if they require a certain addition. If not all three will work.