Anddddd Drum Corps....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Mar 23, 2012.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Hello everyone. I am a senior in high school this year, and its my second year marching with the Raiders Drum and Bugle Corps, an Open Class DCI corps as upper split lead. It truly is too early to be thinking about this but I am. Following this year, I have plans on going on to the bigger World Class corps. My friend (the other upper split) got into Cadets and used Carnival of Venice as his piece. I don't plan on doing Cadets, (between Santa Clara Vanguard, Phantom Regiment, or Bluecoats), but I know I am going to need a piece that not only shows range, but that I am capable of playing a variety of styles. And preferably one that is suitable for a sound thats on the brighter side of the spectrum. It is early, but I figured thinking about it now, and having it ready will be better then cramming the three-four months I have off from DCI finals in August to audition camps in mid-November.

Also anyone have experience in auditioning for World Class corps? I know Spirit does play in Spirit of Atlanta but he hasn't been on in a while....

Anyway thank you in advance :play:

And btw I would love to play lead, but thats not my primary goal. My goal is to get in and experience World Class before I can't anymore.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    What is wrong with the Haydn you are working on now? That would work.

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Well for Phantom Regiment and Vanguard it might work because of the style of music they play, but I don't know about Bluecoats.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Well, 2/3 isnt bad!

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    What about Crown? But as far as music goes, its not JUST about your piece in auditions for World Class. I made the Cavaliers, and Phantom (I couldn't afford it so I didn't go) and I used my All region music. What sold them on me was the camp itself. Don't stress

6. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I play with one of the Blue Coats leads from the last few years in the Ghost Riders, I'll ask him the next time I see him...Might be a few weeks though.

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    That would be greatly appreciated!

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Crown's almost 5,000 a summer. I can't afford it, even though their hornline is just incredible. And I can march and everything (drum corps definitely helps you prepare for drum corps), its just I don't know what I would play.

9. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I think for Santa Clara Vanguard, they give you specific pieces to play. My teacher is in Vanguard.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    my recommendation is the Bozza Caprice. Listen to it and you will know why. I don't think that the Haydn fits the way DCI thinks