Anddddd Drum Corps....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Mar 23, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    COUGH,COUGH,GAG,GAG!! :shock::shock::shock::stars::stars::stars::-o:-o:-o That makes my son's elite travel soccer seem cheap (and that's for an entire year!!)! Don't feel bad, I can't afford it either (although I've been told I'm cheap). You could probably buy EVERY method book ever published (including DHC methods) for that and still have money left over for private lessons with Doc!! That's a lot for marching band. In 2 seasons, you've bought a Monette!!

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Bozza-Caprice - YouTube

SWEET!

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    You also get to participate in the highest level of performance with lifelong friends while being screamed at like you are a rock star. I missed my chance to march with Crown in 94. That was before they became the powerhouse that they are now. Would go back in a second if I had the chance.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I get screamed at like a rock star too (no it's not to stop playing either!) ROFL! I mean if that's your goal, cool. You're still paying to play in a marching band. I sit in with swing bands with retired pros (highest level of performance thing) and they don't charge me a dime. I really like marching band and all the pageantry. I just don't get the whole DCI thing. I am sure that someone will correct me and tell me it's not marching band (but it is!). The music head at a local university instills in his students to not play for free! I KNOW how he feels about paying to play! Anyway back to the topic. Whatever you choose, practice your tail off and nail it!

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I have heard a crowd of 20,000 or better screaming their heads off at a live DCI show. That sound is as sweet as music itself. Many great players have gotten thier start in Drum Corp. It is hard to find better brass instruction than one will get at a top level corp. That instruction alone is worth the money.Anyway, we are off topic.He wants ideas for audtition material. I say get in touch with the corp and they will tell you what they are looking for. That was my experience with Crown as well as with a DCA corp that allows prospects to download audition material.

6. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    *She lol

And yeah I would love to do Crown but they also almost folded (they are in trouble financially). If they stabilize I am sure I could find a way to pay for the dues. I do love their hornline. But yeah to tobylou, it is expensive, but its an experience thats totally worth the money. We spend almost two hours a day on perfecting technique. And about an hour a day is dedicated towards breathing. At Raiders we do a lot out of the breathing gym, and much of our time is spent on making sure our shoulders are relaxed, and we only use the proper technique to play, and make sure that we are not allowing tension to creep in. The knowledge I've gained in sectionals and throughout the experience has helped me a ton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZKXv9HwZ8M
    Besides it would be awesome to be able to do that for at least a summer. :play:

There's something about a full hornline that is just wonderful. Same goes for bluecoats:
    Bluecoats Creep 2011 - YouTube

But I don't know drum corps not only helped me playing wise, but the life lessons and the sense of accomplishment I took away from it was incredible. The feeling of stepping onto the field every morning at 8:00 am and cleaning the drill (you don't play), in pure silence and allowing the noise around you to disappear and just focus on the constant bing of the Dr. Beat, and the critique of the techs. Then you get to eat lunch and head off in two lines with the hornline, and find a spot where it the two lines break and form an arc, and in the distance you can hear the battery start their warm ups, while we go through our breathing and mouthpiece exercises. And then when you feel the vibrations through the ground from the entire hornline coming in, and locking in with one another, and allowing the chords to build and build, I don't know there's something about every hour of drum corps that is incredible. And on top of it the 20 minutes for showering, polishing and cleaning the horns, packing, and eating really helped me to learn to budget my time. The bond that grows between the hornline and the corps is incredible, and when you step off the field on finals night with sweat running down your face (even though you can't remember what you just did), there's just this feeling of accomplishment that comes over you. I don't know drum corps was life changing for me, and its given me a true sense of pride in what I do.

Now if only they would give me one of those upper split lead spots in Crown for free ;)

7. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC

I would never make it in today's Crown. They move so much more than they did years ago. It's not only the amount of movement, but the kind of movement they do. It's fun to watch , but I am sure that I would hurt myself and others. :oops:

I did practice with Crown for one day. It started at 7am and ended at 10pm after a long run. These kids live what they do and deserve to be heard and seen.

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    And DCI you won't understand unless you either see it live, or take part in it. I thought it was awesome when I first saw youtube videos. But it took a bit for it to click for me. The first moment of awe for me personally was my first camp (they needed to replace an insufficient lead), and the caption head brought the whole hornline through this one chordal exercise, and when we grew from pp into full on fortissimo for the last set of chords, feeling the roar of the tubas and baritones, and just the sense of "awesomeness" as 50 other fellow brass players slowly help build up the tension, and resolve together is incredible. The other moment when it clicked to me was at my first competition. We had our Open Class part of the show, and then came the Madison Scouts. I was sitting on the 50 at a small high school size stadium, a few rows under the press box. Prime location for "horn-pops" when the Scouts came in after a trill, into one of the loudest chords I had ever heard, it was when I realized why I did drum corps. The power of 100 horns and in the Scouts case, 20 tubas, is incredible and you just don't get the same sense of awe in marching band.

9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Well two years ago a kid did break his leg on finals day, during the Mahler reprise. And yeah even in Raiders our show was ridiculous. Definitely beat me up for a good month until I built up the endurance both chop wise and physically. But you get used to it after a while. (and in the process I lost 40 pounds woo.)

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Seen it live and was awed! Did not realize it was so expensive. Still would not pay to do it.