Anderson Plating

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Ross, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Ross

Ross New Friend

Mar 7, 2007
    Okinawa
    Anyone ever get some plating done from these folks Anderson Silver Plating: Band Instrument Services

Seems professional enough. I was thinking about having them gold plate the inside of the bell on my Strad. I have always wanted that modification.

2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Ross,

They have been the industry standard for many, many years. You'll have to have the horn carefully prepped before sending, however.

Best,
    EC

3. nickpasternack

nickpasternack Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Doctor valve uses them for his re plating and re finishing. Needless to say, his work is top notch , so i ould go with them.

4. Bonasa

Bonasa Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2008
    Western New York
    I think the strongest testimonial to the quality of Anderson's work is the prominent professional technicians who send their valve plating work there: Steve "Dr. Valve" Winan and Charlie Melk of Charlie's Brassworks come to mind immediately, and I'm sure there are scores of others. Let's face it, the reputation of Winan and Melk for their restoration work is on the line with every valve job they take on, so they're not going to trust something as crucial as valve plating--which must be done to extremely close tolerances--to a shop that is not consistently up to the task. If it's good enough for Dr. Valve and Charlie Melks, I would not hesitate to send any horn to Anderson's.

5. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Ross,

According to Dallas Music:

Quantity and Quality

"Schilke instruments are plated by Anderson Plating in Elkhart, Indiana, a large company that does the plating for many musical instrument manufacturers, including Bach. They have been since the beginnings of the Schilke Company when Anderson was rather small."

Whether or not that still occurs, it shows that another instrument maker t has worked with Anderson Plating based upon its reputation of quality services.

If I needed a horn replated, I would not hesitate to use Anderson Plating. But as mentioned earlier, your horn should be prepared as best it can before shipping it to Anderson Plating.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I had a complete valve job including honing, plating, and lapping done on my old Olds L-12 flugel a couple of years ago. I sent the horn to them directly and they did the entire job for about $100 less than many of the brass gurus. They did an outstanding job. The valves are still like new. Smooth as butter.

7. Bonasa

Bonasa Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2008
    Western New York
    One question, Mike: did they also include a valve alignment in their work? It seems to me that the only thing I'd be buying from the brass gurus who subcontract their plating to Anderson's is a valve alignment. I guess I'd be inclined to have Anderson's do the plating, at $115 per valve, and then have an alignment guru like Bob Reeves do an alignment, at $150, if necessary. I'm just wondering whether new plating always necessitates an alignment.

Can anyone out there shed any light or share any experience in this area?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  8. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    One warning about Anderson: I had a Bach 37 silver plated by them last year. The cost was around $350 ($50 less than initially quoted). I thought that this included all of the work that the horn needed. This price was arrived at after getting the horn back, not after examination of the horn. Anyway, the silver plating is fine. They did silver plate the inside of the horn, as well as the insides of the valve casings. What they didn't do was to take out the dents. Below is an excerpt of an e mail that was sent to me by "John" at Anderson's:

On to the other stuff. Put between $800 and $1000 dollars insurance on
    the carton. This is pretty much the industry standard for a silver plated
    trumpet and will only cost you about $5 for each 800 in insurance. If the
    horn is prepped and ready to go when we receive it you are looking at $75 -
    $100 to plate it in silver. Will take about 2 weeks. If we need to strip
    the old finish, buff, polish, degrease, clean, prep, and plate it is around
    $400 and turn around time is about 6 weeks. Is there anything else we can
    help you with?
    Have a great week!
    John
    Anderson Silver Plating

Now, I thought that "prepping" included the dent work. Evidently, it did not. So you need to keep this in mind when sending a horn directly to Anderson's, instead of through a repair technician.

By the way, they were very pleasant to deal with, and I have no beefs with the quality of the plating.

9. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Sol,

Maybe Anderson Plating thought those dents were "badges of courage" and left them in.

Thanks for letting folks that the horn needs to be as "dent-free" as possible, as it may come back a beautifully plated horn with dents included.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  10. michaelm2

michaelm2 New Friend

Mar 23, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Anderson plates all the horns from Bach, they are across the street from the Bach plant in Elkhart.

Mike