Anderson Plating

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Ross, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Ross

Ross New Friend

Mar 7, 2007
    Okinawa
    Thanks for all the responses!!

2. FourthPlayer

FourthPlayer New Friend

Jan 8, 2008
    I had the valves on my old cornet (circa 1918) completely redone by Anderson, and I thought they did a great job...

3. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    They have a very nice web site.and answer all there E-mail very quickly.They not only plate but do complete overhauls.I going to have a Mendez long cornet overhauled by them down the road.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I would certainly use Anderson's for all of my plating, as any repair shop uses worth anything uses them. If you want dents removed you have to tell them. They, as with all shops, are not going to do something that the customer has not requested.

5. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    S Coomer: If I am sending in a horn to be replated, which also needs to be buffed, stripped and prepped, it didn't even cross my mind that I would need to also specify that I wanted the dents taken out. Be that as it may, Anderson could have asked me if I wanted them to take the dents out or not, which they didn't do. They did, however ask me if I wanted the horn reassembled, which I thought was strange.

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Sol,

As one mechanically-challenged, if my horn came back unassembled, it would still be in the box today unassembled. I know my limitations. :lol:

Best wishes,

Lloyd

7. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    It does seem strange, until you get into a restoration project where you want particular parts of the job done by different vendors with different types of expertise. In that case you might not want want it reassembled if it would just have to be disassembled again for work by another vendor. Regardless, it's a good thing they asked you :lol:

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Being financially stressed last winter, I sent my fathers York Master Model trumpet to another plating and repair shop in Florida. What a horrible mistake that was. I was promised a 2 week turn arround. That ended up more like 3 1/2 months, with every kind of a B.S. story and excuse I have ever heard. When the horn finally showed up I was pleased with the compression and smoothness of the valve actuation and posted my satisfaction on this forum. About a month into practiceing with the horn, cleaning the cylinders and pistons with surgical gauze, followed by lubing with Hetmans #1 valve oil on a daily basis I noticed that the nickel plating was bubbling and peeling down to the copper flash that the tech had applied so that the nickel would adhere. Now, I use the horn very little because the valves are becoming ever more gritty in their action. The nickel is now missing in patches nearly the size of a dime. I CERTAINLY WILL NOT send that trumpet or any other to that same shop. I dearly wish that I had sent my beautiful old heirloom trumpet to Andersons.

OLDLOU>>

9. Hoosier303

Hoosier303 Pianissimo User

Nov 2, 2008
    Indiana
  10. Kamiloiki

Kamiloiki New Friend

Jul 14, 2009