Andreas Eastman?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by miketseng, Sep 10, 2011.

1. miketseng

miketseng New Friend

Sep 7, 2011
    I was looking online for trumpets and I came across the name Andreas Eastman. From what I've read, they are fairly new to producing trumpets and are made in China?

Also on their website, they only have 2 models displayed: ETR420x and ETR520x. But on other sites/stores I see they have a 800 Series. Nowhere on the Andreas Eastman website do they show an 800 series.

I am confused

2. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    I have heard alot good and bad about Andreas Eastman line of trumpets.
    Some say they are a step up from the Berkeley cheapo trumpets.
    Others say they are not a bad horn.

My take is if they are JUST a step up in quality from the Berkeley I would stay away....

Shalom!!

3. miketseng

miketseng New Friend

Sep 7, 2011
    A friend of mine actually owns a Andreas Eastman 520G. I'll ask him if I can try it. Guess the only way to know if a trumpet/brand is good is to play one.

Have you tried one before?

4. JediYoda

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    Not exactly true.....
    The only way to tell if a brand is good is to play quite a few of them...

5. miketseng

miketseng New Friend

Sep 7, 2011
    Ok. So should I not buy one?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have never heard anything bad about AE. I have heard quite a bit of good - in some respects probably exaggerated too good.

Based on the horns that I have played, I do not think that you would be making a mistake. I can't answer the missing 800 series issue though. The website does not seem to be very well maintained. The best solution is to send AE an e'mail. They know for sure!

Eastman Music Company - Importer Profile / Detailed Company Information, Imports & Exports
    Administrative Contact:
    Ni, Qian [email protected]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Eastman horns are not bad at all .... I've had a 420g (the bottom of the line) for a while now. I would recommend it up to a point. I liked it better than an Ambassador and a Conn Director, both sold now. It's not really keeping up with my signature horns though, and so is rarely getting played these days. I think the moment that the Eastman horns were a great value for their very low cost is over now. They're not so cheap any more. Still, a respectable horn built strongly with a very pretty tone.

Turtle

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I have a silver-plated one and it is a nice player and well-made. After two years I have had no problems. I had a lacquered brass one as well but did not need two so I sold it to a college student. He likes it a lot. I have had a Berkeley Winds trumpet and it was not junk (not wonderful, either) but the Eastman is way more than a step up.

But, if you are buying a new trumpet, I would certainly not decide until playing a Getzen or Kanstul (even their low-end models are great), or a Diamond Jaeger from Ivan Hunter. There are lots of good choices without breaking the bank.

9. JediYoda

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    Exactly!! I have had a Berkeley Winds Eb trumpet before I got my present and it was not bad....in a manner of speaking!!

10. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Does Eastman make their own horns? I had a student who had one several years ago. It was a pretty nice horn. Looked a little like a Schilke clone. But I've talked to people I know in the business, and the impression I get is they buy them from the manufacturer and stencil their logo. I don't really know that that is a fact, but one knowledgable guy said they've changed manufacturers, and not for the better.