Andrzej Panufnik - Concerto in Modo Antico

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by trumpetmike, Jan 1, 2006.

1. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Has anyone come across this piece before?

I found a copy whilst clearing out some old music in one of the schools I teach in and have just started work on it (this morning - one of the "new works for 2006"). It seems a very approachable piece of music, but I have never heard of it.

Any thoughts/guidance would be appreciated, if you know this piece.

I know a little about the composer (having worked with his daughter, Roxanna, in the past - another composer, only much better looking), but nothing, yet, about the piece.

2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Mike,

I don't know the Concerto, but Panufnik is a rather well regarded composer. I believe that it's a piece from the 50s; a time when many composers were looking back at old forms. The Bitsch Scarlatti Variations, Respighi's Ancient Airs and Dances, Pulchinella from Stravinsky, and Schnittke's Trumpet Sonata are other examples that pop quickly to mind.

Why don't you dust it off and let us know what you think after you've had a good go at it?

Cheers,
    EC

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Cheers Ed

Thanks for the background information, will help put the piece into some musical context.

I intend to work this piece up for possible performance later in the year, once I know it a bit better, I will post some thoughts. On first play through it certainly seems accessible, aside from having one movement in 6 flats and another in 5 sharps :shock: (not helped by transposing it the first time through - maybe it will work better on a C trumpet, as the part suggests :lol: ) - it should be an interesting one.