Annoying blood-blister-like lesions on lower lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lyndon, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Lyndon

Lyndon New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Lancashire, UK
    A bit of background: I'm 53 and I've been learning the trumpet for about three months now (I'm a professional organist/piano accompanist/teacher). I absolutely love the trumpet, and have found an excellent teacher. I practice for about an hour a day, all told, split up into three or four sessions - first thing in the morning, lunchtime and in the evening. I play a 3-yr-old Bach Strad and have a 1 1/2C mouthpiece, which feels right.

About six weeks ago I discovered a couple of small, hard lumps that look a bit like blood blisters close to the right-hand corner of my lips: like the kind of thing you'd get after accidentally biting your lip. They seemed to appear pretty well overnight. I think I might have triggered their appearance by 'trying too hard' and compressing the corners of my mouth a bit too much in my early practice - my embouchure is now a lot more relaxed, and I don't use very much pressure at all. I have been wondering whether they might be varicose veins. Please see the accompanying picture - the 'bumps' are just above the writing, which is too small to read (the image appears larger when clicked). The lumps have not increased or decreased in size since they first appeared.

Funnily enough, I'm least aware of these things when I'm playing - but they seem a bit harder and darker after practice (and sometimes very slightly sore), becoming softer and paler when rested overnight.

So: questions - has anyone else here experienced anything similar? Ought I to seek a surgical remedy (cauterization, perhaps, if they're varicose veins?). I realise this is a trumpet forum and not a doctors' one, but I just wanted to see if anyone here knows anything about this kind of problem. Having made very good progress recently, I don't want anything to get in the way!

Sorry to bore you with a lengthy post and a rather unappetising picture!

Many thanks for any advice, help, or shared experience.:-)

Lyndon

DSC00728small.jpg

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Congrats on your practice routine. Sounds like you are doing what you need to in keeping from using too much pressure. Part of playing is building up the chops. What you are experiencing may just be part of the process. Sounds like it may also be a small blood blister. Your pics didn't take online. Others may offer different advice, but unless they are painful or causing you a major problem, I'd wouldn't worry about them. Give it a month and see what happens. Guitar players get callouses on their fingers. I can't imagine a trumpet player having smooth and supple chops. While not condoning abuse of the lips, there are some great tales about trumpet players and really rough lips. Louis Armstrong for one.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Your picture did not come through. What color are these bumps? How have they changed in the past 6 weeks? Are they painful (at rest or when playing the trumpet)? When you compress them, does the color (and bumps) go away?

Would love to guide you, but with the initial post and the image not coming through, it would be hard for me to advise at this point.

4. Lyndon

Lyndon New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Lancashire, UK
    Thanks so much for replies so far - I'll have another go at uploading the picture. It's only 119k, so I don't know why it didn't upload last time. L DSC00728small.jpg

5. Lyndon

Lyndon New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Lancashire, UK
    It's still not working - I clicked the 'image' button and selected the file, but it won't upload. Anyone know why not?

6. Lyndon

Lyndon New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Lancashire, UK
    I can't upload the picture for some reason, so here's a link to it on another site. L Text

7. Lyndon

Lyndon New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Lancashire, UK
    Okay, final try at posting the picture. I thought I was highly computer-literate, but evidently not :( Click here for picture

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This appears to be a wear patturn (reactive reaction) of the mucosal surface of the lip, that comes into contact (and rubs) against the tooth that is in the right most margin of the picture. Try doing the following and let me know how this works in about a month: Take a capsule of vitamin E. Poke a hole (with a toothpick) at one end and squeeze out enough to cover your index finger. Then message this oily droplet into the lip nodule. Do this twice a day. Then report back in a month as to how this is going.

9. Lyndon

Lyndon New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Lancashire, UK
    Thanks for this. I hope vitamin E is available in capsule form here in the UK - I'll find out tomorrow. :)

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Some people are allergic to certain metals--nickel and brass are more common than allergies to silver or gold. The fourth horn player in our orchestra was diagnosed as having a gold allergy and switched to a Derlin rim on his Giardinelli mouthpiece.