Annoying Crackling Sound :@

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dreads, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    Over the past weeks I have developed a problem, This usually occurs when I get to the 3rd line c and above. A very annoying crackling/growly sound. Has anyone ever experienced this or know any solutions? All help would be hugely appreciated =/

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Have you tried a different horn?

Third line is B, unless you mean ledger, then it's E.

3. High School Trumpet

High School Trumpet New Friend

Jul 15, 2010
    USA
    I think the problem is you are straining to get the high notes. I have experienced the same thing because I just got braces. My trumpet teacher told me to do some more lip slurs and chromatic scales. Now I can hit those "relatively" high notes. You might also want to try chromatic scales to slowly increase your range.

It could also be that you practiced a little too hard yesterday.

Hope this helps...
    :play:

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think he means third space C, or tuning C.

It sounds like you are describing a double-buzz.

There are various ways to improve your focus and tone - some people suggest low to mid range, soft long tones, some will suggest the pencil trick. I'm a believer in the long tones along with some easy tonguing exericises in the middle register to help promote chops focus.

5. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    My practice routine usually consists of a lot of Long tones already, But I'll keep at it, Thanks very much :)

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Even if your practice routine includes long tones, that doesn't necessarily mean you are approaching them correctly. Having said that, I think that articulation exercises go further toward clearing up focus issues. Do you ever have issues getting a tongued low note to speak? (low C and below) If so, specifically work on tonguing in that range and it might help to improve the crackling issue.

How old are you and how long have you been playing?

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ah - never mind:
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/embouchure-problem-54727.html

So you've been playing for 5 months. Patience my friend - you have an undeveloped embouchure and it's going to take some time (months or longer) working on the fundamentals before your sound starts to develop consistency from one day to the next.

8. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    I second the double buzz answer- it's just a matter of building your range to the point where a c is more comfortable- then it will stop

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    have you seen a professional trumpet teacher? your problem can't be diagnoised over the internet. A teacher need to SEE and HEAR you play to determine what going wrong.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    He's been playing for 5 whole months - who says it's a "problem?" I see it as simply undeveloped tone and sound production due to a lack of time and experience on the instrument. Regular practice over time will usually rectify the matter on it's own, and I don't think that he really needs a professional teacher to intervene at this point. At this point, a teacher will almost invariably prescribe the same kinds of things we are.