Annoying Crackling Sound :@

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dreads, Jul 15, 2010.

1. 1stTrumpet

1stTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2009
    I've had this problem before and what I did was to just remember to sing the note in your head and just buzz it in the mouthpiece then play it, it helped me alot.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Schools out. We have traditionally a lot of this stuff when summer vacation starts. There is a lot more time on the computer, and perhaps less band in school.

When the playing situation changes, the "desasters" happen. Every year, same time, same place.

I ALWAYS recommend a professional teacher at the beginning. A great start has better chances of success than a struggle. I agree with Patrick, don't over think stuff like this. Just practice even MORE!

3. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Amen, Rowuk,

I've been a public school music educator for 30 years (17 at the high school level and the last 13 in middle and elementary) and believe that the best teachers need to be in the elementary schools starting the beginners. What we learn first, we learn best. Habits are easy to acquire (and hard to break) so why not learn correct habits from the start?

With respect to the "annoying growly sound" issue, I'm surprised that the "wet lip / dry lip" debate didn't come up. I find that for some kids, without saliva lubricating them the lips do not "slide" and the lip gets stuck in a low set as the child is trying to ascend. Not that they have to be "sloppy wet" but moist enough to slide.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    QFT - while I have had my own modest successes as a musician, I sometimes wonder where I would have gone if I had the resource of a good teacher during my formative years who would have kept me from developing the bad habits I had to overcome through grit and determination on my own, and who had steered me in a more efficient direction from the beginning.

Dreads - do you have anyone there local who can take a look at what you are doing to see if maybe the issue isn't something a bit more sinister than simply being an undeveloped player?

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    sounds like spit crackling or sort of a double buzz.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maybe the batteries are just in backwards.

7. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    Doing some research on the double buzz, I am almost 100% sure that is my problem.