Annoying Neighborhood Kids

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Hughes, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    So I was practicing upstairs out of the basement today, because I need to practice some stuff with an MP3 and needed my big computer speakers.

I was only going to practice two and a half hours, but some neighborhood kids were heckling me, so it went to three and a half. Wow, the last half hour was all loud, obnoxious, peircing high notes! :dontknow:

Anyone else have this problem? What do you do?...I went and told their parents! :D ROFL

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I would smile ... I might strike up a conversation with them and ask them if any of them played an instrument ... but I would never let 'em see you sweat :

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    From you, or the neighbourhood kids?

--bumblebee

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually, my neighborhood kids tell me it sounds like a live CD recording artist is being played from my house; then they set up a lemonade stand and sell in front of my house. Maybe you need a neighborhood upgrade.

5. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    :thumbsup:
    ROFL

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have the best neighbors... they tell me they actually enjoy listening.... who would have thought San Pedro would have a pandemic of Amusia!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I thought that this post was about YOU annoying the neighborhood kids. Classical repertory is good for that.

During a similar situation, I invited the kids in and showed them what loud, fast and high mean. Then I was "cool" instead of annoying. They asked me if I could play various tunes and because I am a "different" generation, I asked them to sing them to me and then I played back. THEY told their parents about ME. Better situation. Outreach instead of war.

8. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    What do you mean they were heckling you? You were inside, and I assume these kids were outside in another yard. Were they yelling insults at you or something?

I live in Japan where houses are very close together. I use a mute if practicing later in the evening and always make sure windows are closed etc. There is one neighbor that goes and slam shut the metal shutters on her windows as soon as I start - like today at 5pm. They seem to sleep with the shutters closed and then open them around 7am (much to my annoyance when I usually wake up a bit after that). One day a week I have to get up before 5am, and I take great pleasure in making noise opening and then closing my own windows and shutters. Ah schadenfreude!

9. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    I wasn't there, so can't judge in any way, but I have to think Robin's approach is a better one.

I also thought the thread title was about you annoying the neighbourhood kids. (Which I guess you did if you grassed them up).

Surely it's better to get them onside if at all possible?

We have no nearest neighbour at the moment. The house is available to rent. A couple of weeks ago the agent (realtor I think you guys across the pond say) was showing some people around. But they made the mistake of parking behind my car and blocking me in. I felt the need to practice high scales loudly with the windows open. I nearly went to the workshop (visble from next door) to switch on my table saw :evil:
    (I can be an obnoxious git too, but I don't think it generally gets you very far. House is still vacant though. ROFL)

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :thumbsup:

As much as I hate to admit it, I was once one of those slightly annoying neighborhood kids. Not a lot, but when I was about 7 or 8, for some unknown reason (honestly, I can't remember) I took to throwing rocks across the street, at our neighbor's front yard. We didn't know them, but the owner came across the street one day and knocked on the door. I answered and thought, uh-oh, I'm in trouble.

Instead of yelling at me or "setting me straight" or discussing it with my Dad or whatever, he came by to offer me a job watering his plants while they were away (to Mexico) for a short vacation. I was surprised to say the least and took the job.

Long story short, he and his whole family became great friends of ours. The man (his name is Vince Salinas) even came along with our family on an outrageous month long trip through Mexico (when I was 10), traveling by camper and station wagon. His gesture when I was doing something wrong as a kid is something that I will never forget. A life changing moment for sure.

Turtle