Annoying Wonderful Teachers, Breathing, Practice, Aural Concept, & Heaven

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Richard Oliver, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    TY, Wilmer for drawing folks' attention to Kathleen & Wynton's duet. It was new for me.

And, I've just got to find a way to work this clip in on TM. So, y'all, forgive my shoehorn.

Many of our discussions are an either/or sort of thing. We take things in isolation from leadpipes to articulations and everything in between. This clip showcases how/why this stuff doesn't/can't exist in isolation. The scene of Battle, Battle's teacher, Marsalis, and the recording guys in 7.5 mins puts on display so many of our TM topics and discussions.

There's virtuosity.

There's virtuosos getting schooled by their teacher in the very best way possible.

There's the whole breathing thing. And if we as trumpeter's can't dig it when singers are at it, then we gotta look with better eyes.

Then there's "the something." Name your own heaven if you want if it helps. I love Wynton's quip and the teacher's reply. And Battle's, "Is there a Spiritual called 'Where Did My Voice Go?' is priceless.

Let alone the piece: Bach's 51st Cantata Emmanuel Music - Bach Cantata BWV 51 - Translation

I've probably spent too much time at the slow kids' table. When I saw this, it was, "Oh, that's what they've been talking about!"

My teacher passed on this advice to me today: LET GO during performances ALWAYS. There is nothing you can do at that point, so completely let go and enjoy it. It will feel like walking off a cliff. Get used to that feeling and be completely immersed in the moment - in the music. Shut off the critical mind and focus. When your mind wants to "chatter", think of vocalizing. In other words, your sound. And I saw that sort of thing taking place amongst Battle, her teacher, and Wynton. Hope I'm not reading in too much.

So here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebsJR7USVnw&feature=relmfu

What do you think and see in all this?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sincerely moving video, Richard, at least for me. Thank you to you and Wilmer
    Jim

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Yes. And back in the early 2000's at TH much was said about it. So, I've arrived very late to the party.

I can't stop watching it.

Love amidst all the flaws does that for me.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012