Annoying youtube comments

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Sep 8, 2012.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    In browsing youtube yesterday I came across this clip of a young lady playing "Rustiques" at a Junior Recital:

Rustiques - YouTube

A little way down through the comments on the video I read this:

"How do you get such a cut-up and rough sound from a Stradivarius? She got through the piece all right, but her sound is so unrefined, which is odd because she is playing on an instrument designed to eliminate this from her playing. I am just at a loss for words... "

which made me wonder because (a) I don't think her sound is too bad (though would say she didn't play every note 100%, as you might expect from a junior musician) and (b) who would ever think that one brand/model of trumpet would have the feature I've highlighted in bold here?

(That same commenter (who claims to be a trumpeter) also seems to pick on the player for using sheet music and refers to possible "interpretations" of the piece as "mistakes".)

I know there are all sorts out there - and I am probably a sort myself - but this comment about the Strad was unexpectedly different to what I thought trumpeters should "just know".

--bumblebee

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    That's a hard one to figure, since she sounded pretty good, especially for someone her age. Hard to figure that is, why someone would post up a negative comment.

As for the Strad comment ..... The person is obviously challenged (he's an idiot). There are no trumpets that "eliminate (cut up and rough) sounds from the trumpet." Nothing like that exists. It's amazing what people will sometimes think. I wonder where he got that bit of "information" from? An ad?

Very odd, indeed. Sad, too, because she'll probably read those comments.

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
    kingtrumpet likes this.
  3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I didn't know Vincent included something like that in the design:roll::-o:oops:

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Is that why Bach Strads are so popular??? :dontknow:

Turtle

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Well I'm not stalking him/her, but in another site that commenter's name is against a profile from 2009 which says they are a high-school senior who plays trumpet. I need know no more! (without insulting any intelligent kids who read TM, hopefully).

--bumblebee

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Jealous? :dontknow:

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    That's probably it, Dupac! He's jealous. And, he heard the Bach Strad comment from his band director (the guys with the most accurate information). :roll:

Turtle

8. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Bach Strads are so popular because there are so many of them. No, wait. There are so many Bach Strads because they are popular. Your choice. I know mine. :D

9. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Many YouTube comments, like many on this site, are pointless. If you do put something up on YouTube, expect to get fried. You may notice that Nick Drozdoff will almost always lock out comments on his YouTube videos. A player of his caliber does NOT need a negative comment from some idiot who is not in Nick's league.
    Rich T.

bumblebee likes this.
  10. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Many people overestimate their ability and, consequently, underestimate or undermine the abilities of others. This is the so called "Kruger-Dunning effect". A perfect example, according to the New York Times, is a survey that found that 94% of college professors believe they are better than average teachers.

I don't think trumpet players are a lot different, especially amateurs (myself included) and those with limited knowledge. We tend to be more critical of other players and are more apt to "put them down".

Armed with this knowledge and a pittance of human decency, I try to avoid boorish online comments.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012