annoying

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skankin'dan, Jul 31, 2007.

1. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I don't get it, but ever so often it seems like I change my embrochure position slightly without me knowing until it's too late. Each time things sort of change but I generally have a double high g to c range. (like the high one everyone wants kinda c :D ). Anyone know whats up? It's not really a bad thing but It could and that's what im afraid of :-o

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Skankin,
    if a minute change in mouthpiece position destroys your playing, it isn't the positioning that is causing your trouble.
    Playing reliably high requires that many things work together correctly. Breathing, body use, posture, tongue and chops.

If you are getting lucky, figure it out and keep doing it, then write a book and make tons of money!

Seriously, inconsistency is a symptom of inconsistent PRACTICE or a medical condition. Barring the latter, you just need to stick to a good routine and let a good teacher make sure that you are behaving yourself!

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uhh...How? Do you move the mouthpiece up, down, sideways? Change the angle of the horn on your face? Hold your lips differently?
    Uhh...what happens when "it's too late?"
    What do you mean by "sort of change?"
    Uhh...not really, unless you can be a lot more specific! Please give us some details to work with, otherwise it's like trying to figure out one of godchaser's posts!:cool:

4. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Things sorta change, but you generally have a DHC? Stop being spoiled!!!

:)

5. skankin'dan

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    As for Vulgano....

Change slightly: any which way the mouthpeice moves around on my mouth.

Too late as in without me knowing : I slowly change my postion without me knowing, and eventually I notice that it's not the same. Then when I try to go back it doesn't play like it used to.

Hope that helped, its hard to explain =/

6. skankin'dan

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Well, my DHC's arn't very good, as a matter of fact they're rough (what do you expect for playing for only 4 years and no teacher to help). But notiec the "g"-c... sometimes it's not c, just up to g or so. I like when I can hit C always and its driving me crazy cuz I cant cuz of my stupid mouth lol...

7. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    OK, now I'm REALLY pissed.... :)

8. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA

[​IMG]

9. skankin'dan

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Well I sorta fixed things out and I hope they stay now.... thanks to all the advice (sorta =/ ) cuz im probably confusing the hell out of everyone. (It's difficult to explain).

10. rickperon

rickperon New Friend

Jan 17, 2007
    Tucson, AZ

Not so fast......listen, if you have only been playing for 4 years (assuming you started when you were 9 or 10) then that says you are about 14 or 15. Ok, usually most people attain range one of two ways. Either you sort of figure it out early by trial & error or you develop it systematically. It would seem here that you are of the former. OK, you received some advice to ingage in consistant practice, this is the best advice you will get. Why? Because you still have a lot of developing ahead of you. You know the mechanics are there already for you to play high notes, that puts you ahead of the game. Now, put that on hold for now, find a good teacher and work on developing all the many other important aspect's of trumpet playing! Consistent practice will transfer into consistent performances. High notes without power, stamina (endurance) and accuracy means nothing in a real musical setting. Be thankful for what you already have and control the desire to hurry through everything, especially high notes. Stay ambitious and be careful, even well intentioned perseverance in one area can be over done and unprofitable. The best to you!