Another April Fools Joke on CL?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bwanabass, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    So I was scanning CraigsList, and came across this ad. Joke, scam, or legit ad?

Gramps was in a big band in the 1950's (don't know which one) and we have inherited some of his old stuff. It's been just sitting in the closet getting dusty and we are moving soon so it is time to clear out the clutter.

Apologies for not knowing too much about trumpets, but check out the picture and see what you think. No idea what it is worth, so I looked on eBay and saw some cornets selling really low... this one is nicer than those so I am asking $225. If that is a crazy number let me know.. but my sister will kill me if I sell Grampy's horn for nothing! Probably just keep it if it isn't worth $225.

The details... is is gold colored, looks nice. The buttons move up and down, a little sticky. May need some grease. I don't have any grease or I would have lubed them up. It is in a brown/tan case that is missing the handle.

The horn has a bunch of numbers engraved on the pistons... a number "3" right above a bunch of other numbers "178654". A bunch of flowery engrabing on the bell which has some art deco looking text that is hard to read, maybe elkhart, committee model, "Martin" (Gramp's name was Marty, so maybe he had his name engraved on it... hope that doesn't hurt the value. It may polish off and you can engrave what you want.)

There are a couple mufflers that go in the bell, cheap cardboard ones. I'll throw those away along with the rusty music stand. the mouthpiece is rusty looking, has no markings other than someone's hand written name and a number "3x5", but my wife thinks we should keep it since it is kinda gross to use someone else's old mouthpiece.

Cash only... no scammers, no shipping. Can meet at Walgreens near Hwy 60 & Gilbert Rd, evenings only. No Txts, No phone calls. just email, I will return message and arrange meetup.

Thoughts?

2. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Who knows? Why not email? I'd be taking someone with me to meet the guy though.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    It sounds entirely realistic.

Tom

Edit: the Al Cass reference gave it away :-)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  4. Bwanabass

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I emailed already. The posting just seems too conveniently far-fetched to be real - especially today being April 1.

5. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    No Google hits on that one, so nice try.

Tom

6. Bwanabass

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    The mouthpiece the poster is describing is an Al Cass??? Haha somebody is having a good laugh for sure.

7. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    Something about that serial number tells me it's a joke.

8. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    What else do you think someone's hand written name and a number "3x5" means?

Tom

9. Bwanabass

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm relatively new to the vintage horn and gear scene, so I had no clue that it was an Al Cass reference.

10. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    So now you know. Al Cass signed all of his mouthpieces with an electro-pencil engraving device. 3x5 was a common size he made.

His son Steve is selling pretty good copies of his dad's hand-made pieces here:

Al Cass Mouthpieces U.S.A. For Brass Musicians Trumpet Trombone

They are also signed by Steve with electro-pencil.

Tom