Another Audition Failure (Tone)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garmeth, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Record yourself -- only way you can tell for sure what you sound like.
    You may be really tight or closed off in the mouth, or it could be the articulation, as others have suggested. The recording will reveal specific areas to work on. I suggest just relaxing, but I'm sure there's more to it than that.

Best of luck.

2. garmeth

garmeth New Friend

Dec 4, 2010
    I can last about 32 seconds.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    sometimes playing on the high side of the center of the pitch can be interpreted as brightness.... make sure you are rock solid on the pitch centers.

coolerdave likes this.
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Tension in the body can lead to an uncomfortable "brightness." It is almost impossible to diagnose anything over the internet, but the judge's comment about "playing with your chin too far down" may be an indication of tension. I suggest you check out the following: David G. Monette Corporation and the following pages, especially "body use."

Good luck!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have posted this quite a few times. When a judge or band director says "bright", they mean OBNOXIOUS. Normally there is nothing wrong with bright when elegantly handled. If bright were an issue, the C trumpet would have very limited popularity in symphony orchestras.

Typically, players that come to me for help with "sound" do not play enough tunes. Their music goes nowhere, just a bunch of notes. Very typical for "bright" complaints is also a hard sounding attack.

Fixing this is not as much technique as it is working on your ears. Granted, we can ALWAYS work on our breathing.

Suggestion: get a Hymnbook and start playing HUNDREDS of tunes. Try and play the words. Glory and Power is different than sorrow and mercy. Get your teacher to play more in lessons too!

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Playing along with your teacher, or having him/her play and then emulate immediately what was played can be very useful. So is recording your lessons, which most teacher won't object to. Good luck.

7. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    There's another possibility that hasn't been presented here...the judge was wrong! Judges are people too and have their own biases as to what's right or wrong. Now if he's the gatekeeper to the band you want to get into, then yes you'll need to accord with his opinions. But what you don't want to happen is to adjust your tone to match what you think this judge thinks is correct, only to face another judge with another opinion, maybe the opposite. (I used to give speeches at tech conferences. One conference I got feedback from my "judges" (the audience) that I didn't provide enough detail. So the next time I gave that same speech I added details. Feedback I got..."too much detail".)

First and foremost do whatever it takes (i.e. what everyone else posted) to get the sound you yourself like, and perhaps be able to adjust as needed. Then worry about the judges.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Satchmo,
    if trumpeters were generally receiving instead of transmitting, the judge being wrong could have merit. It mostly just ain't so. Believe me, the people playing for these judges do NOT play like chameleons and they sure don't even know what the judge wants.

It normally is very wise to get as many comments as possible and then work on the averaged response. The same text or tune played twice can be bright or meaningful, boring or interesting. All of this get the sound you like is hogwash. You don't know before you get there if you made it. The better you get, the further away the next goal is. Getting qualified advice can save a player a lot of useless development time.

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Sounds like it could be a political thing to me. You know like many of the principles in symphonies aren't the best players, but they knew the conductor. And it just so happens the local monster trumpet player's parents owned a trumpet store so he was able to get gigs... Maybe the judge was looking for a specific player from a specific school if you know what I mean. Last I checked music wasn't objective, and pretty easy to be clannish about, in fact clannish people tend to flourish in these settings. Did you get a chance to hear the other performers? If you didn't then I would recommend you work on getting a tone that you like, and find people that appreciate that tone.

10. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Listen to the Allen Vizzuti clinic video series on youtube. It's not exactly a private lesson with the master but it's so darn inspirational you won't want to put your horn down.