Another Audition Failure (Tone)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garmeth, Feb 2, 2012.

1. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I think that you can improve that piece alot... it is not very difficult, and you flubbed intervals and left phrases and notes hanging without air support. Is that what you played for the audition?? I will leave the serious skewering to the next few posters, but commend your desire to improve and willingness to post a video. Based on that video I wouldn't pick you for an advanced ensemble if there were better players around. It isn't specifically tone, just weak sounding air support and it maybe not nailing the pitch centers.... and THEN... lyricism! It doesn't sound like you are singing! Maybe a bit slow for my tastes, and there is more you can do with dynamics. It starts piano, right?? mf in the middle?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Are they really that dumb? I mean, come on, this is a note that, honestly, very few players can blow in a musically useable way. Those who can are either very gifted or have beeen working wth dedication on their range for years. They want you to play that in 2 months, essentially adding almost an octave to your useable range? Do these people play any brass?

As for your rendition of the Fantaisie Brillante's theme, equipment limitations notwithstanding, I would not qualify your tone as brash or piercing, so the real meaning and problems might be elsewhere. I'm sure you'll get feedback from those here who have teaching expertise.

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Kehaulani,

I would have loved to audition for trumpet players--maybe I did, but every one I knew didn't play trumpet. One played, saxophone, another trombone, one played clarinet and I auditioned for a violinist for a seat in the local youth orchestra. Even my audition for college placement and scholarship (which I received) was not done before a trumpet player. However, I have no complaints since--with the exception of the orchestra--I made every band and with the exception of college sat 1st chair. Of course that was over 40 years ago--not sure what's happening now.

4. garmeth

garmeth New Friend

Dec 4, 2010
    Agreed, no it wasn't what I played for audition; It is what I need to play for the next audition 8 months from now but I haven't practiced that for more than a few minutes before. I'm still in the process of adding more lyrical playing and hyms ( Rowuk's suggestion) to my playing, usually I only play fast stuff.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    garmeth - as you can tell, I'm not one jump off the deep end assuming things without enough information to support it. Now that you've given us more to go on (harrumph), I've got two additional comments-
    - - regarding the video, the sound kept breaking up on me so I wouldn't fall on my sword over an opinion of your sound, but what I was listening to, I would hardly call "bright". Sounded very nice to me.
    - - regarding "Jazz Police", a big band I lead read through that at the end of last year and regarding your jazz band leader(s?) (you wrote "they handed the jazz band . . ." Is it a "he", "she" or "they"?), I would ask if the band leader(s) is/are, in the inimitable words of Cheec&Chong "out of their ******* minds!".

6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Your sound is fine. Sounds like air support and flexibility studies would help you most, IMO. I have no idea where they got "bright" from. Pretty decent, to me, overall.

ROFL at the Jazz Police. For a high school player to play a strong high G would be nice if it were common (key here is strong -- also meaning tastefully). To assume one to get a B below double C to begin with is ridiculous, especially in two months... I would stop where comfortable and have them deal with it. For a teacher to expect you to earn a sixth in range in such a short time is an invitation to poor playing habits (I know from personal experience.)

Kudos for posting a video of you playing!

7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Garmeth,
    I like your natural vibrato. You could probably use a little bit more breath support overall through the piece ( a little more when you jump up the interval to the higher notes ). It sounded pretty good to me. Very good of you to provide that clip. It doesn't sound like you have a problem with you nerves. Good job.

8. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    That was pretty cool to have posted that, but personally, I would prefer to hear the piece you played at the audition referred to on your original post.

9. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    DO you have a teacher you trust or who has experience playing the music you aspire to play?
    A lot of times, there are common sense solutions to issues of tone production. What kind of mouthpiece do you play on? trumpet?

10. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

I wish everyone could re-read my earlier post where I b-tched about band directors and/or district band judges with an unhelpful concept of tone. Because from Gameth's response and the replies others have made about his tone it appears that my words were completely on the money.

I don't re-collect the double B natural in "Jazz Police" but do remember it plentiful of high G's and with a wicked out chorus. It is a professional quality lead trumpet chart. Having played it myself perhaps twice in concert. The idea that a lead player needs double range notes is invalid. Triply so a high school trumpet player.

What we have in the trumpet kibitzing world are tons of irrational ideas and even crazier expectations. In response I've found it preferable not to "make nice" with those who regurgitate the insanity. Calling it as I see 'em. This ruffles feathers but is far more productive than being passively complicit in the scam. What i don't do is make personal attacks such as occasionally get made upon myself.

In general i attack the idea, not the person. Not unless they start a slug fest first. Then all bets are off. I eat them for breakfast. In short the advice, particularly on physics we see on trumpet forums is worthless. They know nothing.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012