Another comeback player

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by nlebaron, May 21, 2014.

1. nlebaron

nlebaron New Friend

Feb 11, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I did my practice session in the AM today instead of my usual evening session. Yesterday I spent a LOT of time on Stamp and about 20 minutes of long tones outside of it. Played a little with my wife and ended on pedal tones. Today I warmed up for 10 minutes on Stamp warm ups and mouthpiece buzzing and really felt ready to play as compared to what I have experienced so far in the early stages of my comeback.

I spent about half an hour on Charlier #1 and got the first 3 lines down pretty good. I was really happy because the "A" and G# were coming out really well. My sound was supported and not difficult to produce.

After Charlier I tested out the limits of my range a little. I played up to a really solid High "D"

I am converted... Stamp, Long tones, and a little music... that is my practice regimen for the next few months at least. This is starting to work :D

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not to mention, playing a little with the wife!;-)

3. nlebaron

nlebaron New Friend

Feb 11, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Another solid practice session today... about 50 minutes including my rest periods. Chops were really tired at about 40 minutes but I still could hit a High C. I'm really encouraged... I think in a few months I am going to have the best chops of my life :D I think progress might come a little quicker since I don't have to force things in a band setting like I sometimes did in college. Articulation is improving and the Charlier #1 is coming along. It will take me at least a few more weeks to really get it down. Maybe in a month or so I will have the endurance to make it all the way through it. When all the notes are there I'll try and get it up to tempo. Who knows... maybe I'll post a vid of me playing it for some feedback.

I ended on pedal tones for about 10 minutes... I think this week is the first time in my life I have felt like I was really doing them right. I never had that focused feeling on them before even though the aperture is huge. They are also sounding more like real notes than ever. Corners are really tight and it takes a lot of support and air control to get them to come out. Incidentally my tone is really clear now. The double buzz I was getting is gone. I think it was from a lack of support and a lazy embouchure. A few days of breathing right has made all the difference.

I like the trumpet :D

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and I bet your TRUMPET is beginning to like you -- ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. nlebaron

nlebaron New Friend

Feb 11, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Been a long time since I posted here. Some challenges in available time due to my professional life had me basically quitting on my comeback.

Well, I'm at it again. This time I'm playing mostly at night on my silent brass. I came across an old copy of "Total Range" and decided to give that a try for getting my chips back in shape. I'm also practicing a lot of scales I always avoided when I was in school in hopes to pick up on some music theory I jus never had the patience to learn.

Anyway, on total range I progressed to the week 3 beginner exercises on my third night as I was just trying to see where I am at. I have been on week 3 now for a good 3 weeks. Since daylight hour playing has been a challenge I had been getting a little frustrated by my lack of progress. The exercises take 15 min to get through and I'm not supposed to move on until I don't feel fatigued at the end... Hasn't happened yet. Hoping to be able to take the last line arpeggios two octaves without feeling the burn. Not happening yet. In fact, by that point I'm too tired to focus my embouchure for a good sound above the staff at all.

This morning I had a few free minutes and blew on the horn without the silent brass. First chance I had to do that in 3 weeks. To my surprise I played a g major scale up to the high f# with relative ease. Lacking a good warm up I decided not to try for the G. I'm sure some OCD neighbor was going out of their mind at the lack of completed scale but anyhow... I guess the added resistance of the silent brass is what is likely slowing my progress. There must be some calculus as to how much more difficult each note higher gets than the last as a factor of silent brass back pressure.

The practice is working as just demonstrated. It's boringb playing the same "workout" every day but it seems to work!!

Acludwig1 and tobylou8 like this.
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As you are finding out, the trumpet is a demanding instrument. You are doing well listening to the signs of... and feeling the fatigue. If you do not at least practice every other day, it will be difficult to progress beyond your current time limits. That is just the way lip muscle functions when pressed up against a metal restraint. Keep at it on a routine schedule and it will come back. If you keep a steady routine, you will see progress at about 6 weeks. At that time, you can reassess and set goals to go to the next level. Good luck. It does take a certain passion to move forward on the trumpet. But if you achieve these goals, the trumpet will give you one of the greatest pleasures in you life. I know this, as it has been a major reinforcement in my daily life and a most respected friend to me.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    tjcombo and GeorgeB like this.
  7. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    I couldn't agree more with the Doc, a steady routine is essential if you want to make progress.

tobylou8 likes this.
  8. KjetilS

KjetilS Pianissimo User

May 23, 2016
    This is to me quite impressing. I am in my third comeback-year and even if I can play scales up to high D and and maybe even F, I still can not use the range above Bb above staff in a musical context yet. What I have discovered is that by focusing to much on range my tone suffer badly in the low and middle register. Now I take it easy and focus on getting better at making music in my comfortable range most of the time and do some range exercises maybe once or twice a week. To me, this saves me from a lot of frustration and keep my face ready for making music with my band.

Gendreauj and GeorgeB like this.