Another guy making a comeback, and choosing a new horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Angus, May 26, 2014.

1. Angus

Angus New Friend

May 20, 2014
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you go after 19 years? What was easy/hard for you? What's your story?

Also cheers guys. I'll see what I can do about getting my hands on a horn!

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Bwanabass, if I understood the OP correctly he gave that TR-300 away when he stopped...

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    My return to playing is now 3 years going. I still have never missed a day of practice... Yay! That has been the biggest factor in my success.

My goal, all along, has been different than most comebackers. I don't want to get as good as I used to be decades ago... I want to get as good as I never was. I felt like life got in my way and when I left school I left some unfinished business.... So my comeback goal is to find out if I am right.

I practiced at home for 2 months then finally started to sound less like a constipated hippo. After those 2 months I joined FOUR summer community bands (2 big bands and 2 concert bands) plus kept up my practice routine. After 5-6 months I felt like I was getting my mojo and at the end of the summer I stayed in two bands (1 big band and 1 concert band). After 3 years I am still in the big band. I average about 24 hrs a week of practice at home, in 20-45 minute sessions across the day.

All along my focus has been developing technical fundamental skill that I feel like I never had before... Not really focused on range and strength training.

Arban, long tones, Clarke, Colin, Irons, Charlier, Brandt, and all Rich Willey's books (especially Scale Force, and his Clarke Variations books).

My advice to a comebacker is to practice everyday... Practice slow & soft in short sessions. Every day. You had 20 years off.. you don't need any more days off.

Get in a band. Any band. Anywhere. Any part. You need the pressure of reading music, continuing on even after mistakes. You need to learn to count rests and make clean entrances and remember the difference between a DS and a DC! You need to listen to others and match intonation.

So, get ANY horn, and get it on your face. Today!

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Angus!

I too am a fan of starting off with a loaner/rental, just for long enough to figure out what you don't like about it--this will help in letting your "keeper" horn pick you later on. Be sure to work on re-acquiring a total package that includes sound and musicianship and not just technique. Some things come back sooner than others and we've seen comeback players get obsessed with one aspect to the loss of others.

Have fun!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ummm that's not exclusive just to comebackers ya know. And Yes, Welcome to TM, Angus!

6. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    "Natural talent for the French horn." Hah! LOL. That's what every band director tells the trumpet players because nobody ever really wants to play the French horn. But they need to fill out the horn section somehow. I fell for that one for a couple of years. Playing the French horn is like being an airline pilot: hours of boredom interspersed by moments of terror. I had to play horn in a pit orchestra one time for a production of Brigadoon. You sit there doubling the tuba and trombones for two acts until they suddenly want an alpine hunting horn call solo. Most horn parts are like that.

The only guy I ever knew who really wanted to play the horn was our horn professor in college. His right hand was paralyzed and it was the only instrument in the orchestra he could play one-handed with the left hand. He was darned good, BTW.

7. Angus

Angus New Friend

May 20, 2014
    Best quote!

Left handed, awkward key after learning trumpet for so long, right hand shoved awkwardly up the bell, it wasn't for me.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    You know what the French horn player's ex-girlfriend complained of afterwards? "He always went too far." I know, that's a nasty one...

9. trumpetdaddy

trumpetdaddy New Friend

Apr 1, 2010
    People get quite obsessed with equipment. Perhaps that's because the horn doesn't play itself, and to sound really good takes an amazing amount of time, daily. I heard Avishai Cohen say one time that the biggest downside to playing trumpet is the number of hours daily you have to put in, "just to make the gigs, not even get better."

The focus should be on playing what you have the best you can, and incrementally getting better every time you play. The "right" horn will come along when you are ready. It may be the one you already have.