Another Range topic, but a bit more delicate

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Nov 20, 2009.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Well heres my thing I had a high D at the end of may, then I got my wisdom teeth out, took me nearly 2 months to get a high C back when I was able to play in late july after my complications, now Im getting F F# on a daily basis, all of a sudden two days ago my range crashed and I was only doing maybe 5 min a day at most of range building exercises in my hour of pracitice, and Ive only been playing midstate and Carnival of venice by clarke for gov school auditions, I cant ever get an A out hardly, any advice?

2. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    take a day off and let your chops get a break. That usually works for me

3. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Find yourself a second opinion with a good private teacher.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    aMT,
    judging from your post, you are still in school. To me that means that if you even have a sensible daily routine (breathing exercizes, longtones, slurs, basic articulation) for maintenance of your chops, you haven't had it for long.

What you describe is common for players that do not have a solid foundation and rely on theiryouthful strength to power through the bad times.

As far as this situation goes, IF you had a routine, you could compare what was "solid" to what is available now. This comparison is worthless when you do not have at least 30 minutes of maintenance (not range building, fast articulation or finger twisters) daily.

The fact that you claim an F or F# is of no consequence. What could have hurt your playing? Stupid range building exercizes that cause you to twist your face instead of building the right habits, a cold, hard playing, lack of soft and controlled practice, breathing issues, body tension, emotional stress, allergic reactions, dried out lips. Of course there are tons more things that one could worry about.

Only someone that monitors your normal playing can help. Internet advice normally just adds to the confusion.

If a day off doesn't help, only a local teacher can. Any time is a great time to get a daily routine. Search here at TM, we have covered this HUNDREDS of times.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Stay away from the horn for 3 or 4 days. When you start back. start slow and play soft.
    For some reason (and I don't know why) the body & mind sometimes needs a little time off to reset itself.

6. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Took fri night off and sat morning off, It worked, I guess I overdid it one day :dontknow: