Another transcendent moment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Feb 21, 2014.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I made a natural trumpet pitched in C just for use as SCA events. The very day I finished, I got a call to play for a royal court (stop giggling, I know it is very “geekey”). At any rate I never played the thing before but discovered during warm-up there are a whole bunch of baroque tunes that are possible.

I showed up to the gym (i.e., court) and waited to get the nod to play. While waiting, I was getting nervous. I never played the instrument, I had no music, all I could do was “wing-it”. I kept thinking, no matter how it goes, it is supposed to be for fun. When I got the nod to start playing, I took a big leap of faith and played a portion of Handles’ Water Music. It came off very well.

The main point is the idea of singing through the trumpet and the musical mind controlling the tongue like the vocal chords for a signer. I had no sheet music. All I had was the music in my head which I can sing from memory. When I played, all I could do was use my tongue like vocal chords to play. I did not “think” about any of it. I just “sang”. It once again demonstrates how important the musical mind is and how futile it is to try to physically or consciously control the trumpet.
    I wonder, if anyone is having trouble with their embouchure or use of the tongue (inner embouchure) if some kind of homemade nature trumpet can be used to make this connection.

BB

2. brassbow

brassbow New Friend

Mar 22, 2007
  3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi BB,
    YOu stated:
    "I did not “think” about any of it. I just “sang”.
    ---
    Yep , that's the way it's done. When Maynard played, he thought "operetic tenor". Louis knew how to make it sing and so did Mendez. Balsom knows how to make it sing and now, so do you!! Congrats and welcome aboard!!
    Now you know what the phrase "In the right hands, the trumpet is a singing instrument" means.
    Dr.Mark

4. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Thank you so much for posting those pictures! They are greatly appreciated. What Barony are you from?

BB

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's not really a new concept for me. In my formative years as a player, I was a horrible reader, but once I got the music down, the page became a reminder of what the notes were supposed to be, but I wasn't really reading it - I was just "singing" through the horn. I've pretty much always approached the horn that way even though I did wind up becoming a decent reader.

6. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    What you have described very well, there, is the reason I love playing free jazz. Getting into a mindset where you are not terrorised by minutae, or obsessed with perfection/imperfection but instead are in the moment - being true to yourself. Not hiding behind a well rehearsed routine but rather in the 'now' and bringing your full attention and concentration to it!