Another ''who did it''......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Conn-solation, Jan 1, 2015.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Oh man, first it was the admission by some of you that Herb Alpert was an inspiration, and now it's . . . James Last?

Quick! Call a doctor! We need some hip surgery. :D

2. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
    WELL NOW...... Rafael Mendez was in there somewhere as well as Al Hirt along with the ''Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry band''........ Ya gotta understand the backwater hiccup culture that I grew up in...... :roll: :lol:

It's a wonder I play as much and as well as I do what with my teacher telling me that I would never play the trumpet...... :thumbdown:

:play::play::play::play::play::play:

3. kinetic711

kinetic711 Piano User

Sep 15, 2014
    North Eastern Ont, Canada
    I stand corrected. I knew Manfred Moch played Wonderland By Night over the years, but I didn't realize Chary Tabor played on the original recording. Thank you for the clarification.

4. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Man! This thread is hitting so close to home for me. Check out the first few posts on this one . . .

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/how-why-did-you-become-trumpet-73909-3.html

Just before I lost my front teeth, my high school stage band was playing Wonderland By Night which featured yours truly. On the second gliss I went from 1st space F up two octaves and then landed on the top line before finishing up the final phrase. We still play it today in our big band, but I've never since been able to do that. I am hoping that by the end of this year I will be able to. That is my 2015 trumpet goal for those following that thread, and for those who may recall my earlier posts about having dental implants put in this past year.

For many many years I did not speak about Bert Kaempfert and James Last being my heroes, because it often brought ridicule. So I just want to thank you guys for making me feel a little better about myself all these years later. Wish I'd known you then!

5. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    Frank Montiel (whover he may be) says on Youtube: "Wonderland by Night" is a popular song by Bert Kaempfert that was a Billboard number one hit for three weeks, starting January 9, 1961. It was Kaempfert's first hit with his orchestra. The song featured Charley Tabor on trumpet.The original version of "Wonderland by Night" also crossed over to the R&B chart where it peaked at number five"

AND

Why shouldn't these guys be inspirations to us? Not only did we enjoy the music - if I play any of that stuff people love hearing it - I even play hymns in the same sort of way, and they think it wonderful. SO. There. People like it. The point of music. :bleah:

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    My eighth grade year I heard it being done by a high school player on a broadcast of a football game at Fawcett stadium. 4 years later, I was soloing at Fawcett myself. Same school too. Mine was The Shadow of Your Smile,though..His was in 61 or 62, mine was '66.:oops:

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    These are some of my favorite threads .. lots of interesting info.

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Tabor and Moch are both gone now according to the some of the info from the links:-(:oops: