Another YORK "AIR FLOW" cornet for sale!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by ReynoldsC, Dec 28, 2011.

1. ReynoldsC

ReynoldsC Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2009
    Jackson, Missouri
    Here is another York "Air Flow" cornet for sale on Ebay. There has been several for sale this year. Including this one, there has been four cornets and one trumpet for sale on Ebay in 2011. I guess they travel in packs. I mean you do not see these great playing and unique instruments for sale very often. I love my two and think they are the best horns I ever played. Any bets on the final price on this one??? My guess is $825.

Vintage York "Air Flow" model trumpet, very unique shape! Made between '38-'1940 | eBay

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Shush! SHHHHHHHH!!!!

3. ReynoldsC

Dec 13, 2009
    Jackson, Missouri
    OOPS.........I'm bad. (Me and my big mouth)

4. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Cool, I wonder where all of them have been. Rare to see so many. With 9days to go, who knows the end result, but I'll guess $750. You are fortunate to have 2 of them.

5. ReynoldsC

Dec 13, 2009
    Jackson, Missouri
    What is really cool is that these are all new "finds". I keep checking the serial numbers with Horn-U-Copia and they are not listed there. I think there are 6 trumpets and 22 cornets listed there. I know of one more Air Flow trumpet too be listed there and now this cornet. That makes a total of 30 Air Flows known to exist so far. Oh, by the way this new Air Flow on Ebay is a cornet and not a trumpet as it is listed. The bracket from the receiver to the bell curve is perpendicular to both and not at an angle as on a trumpet. The cornet and trumpet both look almost alike but there are small differences.

6. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    I would LOVE to try one of these babies out... it just looks for stinkin cool. Wonder why they had such a SHORT production run? ReynoldsC, you seem to KNOW more then most on these... can you enlighten me? :)

Anybody on the forum happen to be the winner of the last one on Ebay... last month?

7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I think I recall from OLDLOU the Airflow was the the last design by A.J. "Bill" Johnson before York was sold to Carl Fischer co in 1940. Johnson kept the rights and all concerning that design. No more were built, to my knowledge.

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Just a guess on my part, but maybe they were just a little bit too unusual looking......Buck:dontknow:

9. Brasil66

Brasil66 Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2008
    Southeast
    I happen to have one of these little babies, a cornet, and play it about once or twice per month. I really can't get over the thing. It's fantastic. I wouldn't mind getting the valve allignment tweaked and a thorough check-up. I'm sure it has never had such care. But as is, it sets itself apart from the pack. Aside from the piccolo trumpet, it's really once of the most innovative designs of the 20th century. Plus, after reading this thread, I had no idea it was so rare. Count me in.

10. ReynoldsC

Dec 13, 2009
    Jackson, Missouri
    Osren,

MFfan is correct on why a short run. But I am no expert by far, OLDLOU is the expert on Yorks and if you read his posts on Trumpetmaster and Horn-U-Copia you can learn a lot. That is what I did when I became fascinated with the York line of horns. On Horn-U-Copia.com there is a whole section on York horns that OLDLOU is the moderator.