Anti-corrion case?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I get enough to change them out a lot. I'd say I get hundreds a year

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, my only experience with corrosion so far (cross fingers!) was a new custom-made case that had silver-plated instruments tarnish within hours... even after weeks of airing it out, it still tarnished the stuff in no time. Only remedy was to make it my gun case (sturdy aluminium case with cipher locks, could fit three standard handgun cases and ammo for a routine training session).

3. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    What do you think about the practice of dry swabbing the leadpipe, instead? Should work just as well, if there is no running water around, no?

Heyday's Cleaning Mop for Leadpipes - Thomann Sverige
    or possibly
    Bob Reeves Mundrohr Swab - Thomann Sverige

Those cleaning mops tend to leave some residual lint, though, which sort of defeats the purpose since I still have to flush that out of the leadpipe to prevent lint in the valves...

Don't forget plain old mold! I saw a report the other year in a medical publication. Two case studies on patients with allergic alveolitis caused by unsanitary wind instruments. One sax and one trombone. Both were cured after cleaning out their instruments. It's not just instrument care, it's preventative medicine!
    They also examined some more saxophone players' instruments, and found fungi in 13 out of the 15 sampled...

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis due to molds in a saxophone player
    [url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20823006]Trombone player's lung: a probable new cause of hypersensitivity pneumonitis.[/url]

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    You've sort of answered your own question I think :-)

5. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Works for my navel...
    Except for the lint.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I perceive the problem is/was sulphides in the foam padding as all the airing will not deplete.