Antoine Courtois Bb trumpet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by chenzo, Aug 2, 2008.

1. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Can anyone lead to a web site about Antoine Courtois Bb trumpets
    I am looking for prices and history about them I am interested in one with a serial number stated 4548. Has any one got one or has played an older one
    cheers Chenzo

2. gdelorenzo

gdelorenzo New Friend

Jun 16, 2009
    I am looking as well
    I have a Brevete' serial # 6543 @1920-1930

Looking for some specs on the horn

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Even Horn-u-copia doesn't seem to have much info,
    if you want an exact date or specs, you might send the company an email and they might be able to help you

4. gdelorenzo

gdelorenzo New Friend

Jun 16, 2009
    i contacted Courtois and they have no info.

Go figure!!

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I just purchased a Courtois on eBay for $141.00 (shipping included). It had some stuck slides and some pistons that needed reassembling, and the valves were frozen. Additionally, there is a dent on the inside of the backbow and a place where the bell needs smoothing where the lower brace meets the bell. I freed the valves and they now work flawlessly. Mine is a 4 # serial, 62**, and it has Courtois engraving, plus the Leblanc importer name added on the bell. This horn is a real sweetheart of a player. It's ugly as sin, but it has a core that warms my heart when I play it. I will need to spend some money to get the dents removed and the tarnish off (I like raw brass), but for the money I was very lucky. I can recommend this model enthusiastically. In the past I owned a Herriot style Leblanc 737(?) and it played well but had intonation issues and a less defined center. It was a good horn, but it couldn't hold acandle to this older one. I recommend these older Courtois "balanced" model trumpets. They are sweet.

6. anewhall

anewhall New Friend

Jul 17, 2011
    I have a Courtois Bflat trumpet, marked L5557, which I got from Schilke in 1956. I had it stripped several years ago. It has the Courtois engraving on the bell, which is a typical french long-seam hammered bell. Still my favorite horn, and I play it frequently.

7. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I have a Paris made Leblanc that was my Grandfather's made in 1962. All the Leblanc Trumpets at the time were made by Courtois. It's a really lightweight horn with fantastic response and a nice zingy sound. It's really great for jazz. At least that was what Papa and dad used it for.

8. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

The Courtois Phantom - anodized gunmetal gray - .463 bore - advertised as the most expensive trumpet made - back in the day.

Cheers,

Brian

9. Silversorcerer

Silversorcerer Forte User

Jun 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    The Cornet Compendium site has a good bit on the history including the "Antoine Courtois" era, but no catalogs or prices:
    Manufacturers C

"One of the sons of the founder, Antoine Courtois (1770-1855) created what is known today as Antoine Courtois, Paris in [c1803]. He had a shop on the Rue du Caire and created many instruments for the players of the Paris Opera Orchestra and the French Army, his main customer."