Antoine Courtois trumpet serial no 2646

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by cbaker32, Jun 3, 2011.

1. cbaker32

cbaker32 New Friend

Jun 2, 2011
    Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me! I am clearing my parents' garage and my Dad has an Antoine Courtoist trumpet with the serial no. 2646. Can anyone tell me when this would date from please? He was bought it in 1954, but we know it was second hand then. It has lots of inscriptions that I have seen mentioned elsewhere. It is working, was originally lacquered but is now plain brass. I have a couple of photos - haven't figured out how to attach them!

If we were to sell it is anyone able to tell me what would be a fair price?

Many thanks,

Caroline

2. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    The attachment feature has been broken for longer than anyone knows. To insert a picture, upload it to Flickr/etc. and embed it with that (or search out the source file in Flickr to insert). Based on your description, I'd sy this horn is worth maybe $200, but I can't say for certain without pics...sounds interesting, though!

3. PLAYMOR

PLAYMOR New Friend

Jan 11, 2011
    Howdy caroline, just picked up thread on courtois s-n 2646,doing research serial numbers,any further info. Thanks,keith.

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

There is no serial number list out there for courtois (to my knowledge). You might be able to ask them directly (courtois-paris.com), but I don't know how much they keep that info.
    With the photos someone will probably be able to tell you what a fair price would be

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I know a friend who possesses a 2806 and it is a PreWar II trumpet. His is also raw brass, but plays great. He was asking way too much and only got about $350.00 bid on eBay. However his reserve was set higher and it didn't sell. It depends on its condition. Whether or not its valves or slides are frozen, or whether or not there is red rot in the brass. An expert would have to personally inspect it. They are desirable, but not as much as the PreWar Besson trumpets. Best Wishes.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  6. PLAYMOR

PLAYMOR New Friend

Jan 11, 2011
    HOWDY, RE..S-N 2646 AND 2806,WAS JUST PICKING UP ON cbaker32 THREAD;BUT NO REPLY FROM CAROLINE,AS YET.patkins SENDS ANOTHER S-N 2806,KEEP THE S-N ROLLING IN,I'LL THINK ABOUT WHAT NEXT,A LITTLE LATER---------. MY AIM IS TO PUT A SERIAL NUMBERS LIST TOGETHER THE BEST I'M ABLE, ANY PICS. WOULD BE A PLUS,AND PURCHASES ANOTHER+, THANKS FOR THE THREADS, KEITH.

7. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.

8. PLAYMOR

PLAYMOR New Friend

Jan 11, 2011
    HOWDY patkins, THANKS, I'D SAY AT THIS STAGE THE HORN S-N 2806 WAS MANF. 1930's,THE COURTOIS FACTORY CLOSED FOR A FEW YEARS IN THE 30's, IS THE HORN STILL AVAILABLE? ADIOS, KEITH.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Sorry Playmor, but the 2806 was a Selmer 20A. The Courtois was 3588. I posted earlier that I bought it. I couldn't resist. It was an original scratch brass finish. Great sound. It was dated to 1930. Sorry for earlier misinformation. Also bought the Selmer, Gold-plated with first valve trigger, Also irresitable!

10. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    My Courtois flugel is 3500. I was told it was 70's, but I suspect it is at least 50's. Anybody know?