anxiety killed breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Here's the only thing you know. You are the best trumpet player that's standing in the spot you're standing.
    It's OK to be a little nervous when you start playing. The ears need to adjust to the room, you have to adjust your sound to the audience, you have to adjust your ears to listen to the other musicians yadayadayada.
    I've been performing for decades and i still sweat alot for the first 20 minutes because I'm dealing with the unknown. However, once things get adjusted(like my ears), I'm OK.
    The best thing to do is understand that you should be a little nervous in the beginning. To cure this, work on getting your ears acclimated to the room. Once you get your ears in sync. You can close your eyes and begin to have fun with the music.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, I picked up a very heavy smoking habit when I was in my 40+ year lapse in playing. Yep, as many as 3 packs a day at boring times. When I picked up my horns again I was down to about 3/4 pack a day. Yes, I noticed a downhill playing direction.

Well, now I've told all of you about my coronary triple by-pass grafts and my Docs would tell you that my smoking was the major factor contributing to my present health condition.

My last cigarette was July 10th 2010 and my bypass surgery was the 13th. I now walked 2 blocks, and rode a bicycle 6 blocks and spend my days without oxygen. Doc said Monday that I should be off Warfarin by first of 2011. Such is requisite to my dental restoration!

3. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    It is very pleasing to hear that things are getting better Ed. I wish you a speedy journey to better health.

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Good going Ed!

Basically the way to get around anxiety is to become comfortable being on stage or in front of people, by doing it enough that you feel at home there. I don't know of any short cuts. Believe me I went through all of this, in doing a sport.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Chet, marching band is not really good to prepare you for being on stage, athough breating is more of a challenge when marching (I especially remember these long uphills). When doing marching band, pressure is very low. If you stop to catch a breather, you KNOW that nobody is really going to notice. If you crack a note, same deal. People watching are watching the band, not you, and the band goes by so that they don't even see it the entire duration of a piece.
    The only thing that will get you used to the pressure of being on stage is, well, getting used to it, i.e. doing it as often as you can. All non toxic ways to deal with the pressure are good too.