Any advice for how to help my 5 year old with trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by samsplace, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Samsplace,

Great to see such young passion for the instrument...and obviously a tolerant family. It sounds bad for a while.

I believe the reason most teachers do not want to take very young students is because their teeth have not set in at that stage. So any pressure applied may cause permanent teeth issues. Perhaps speak to your dentist as well.

I would take the opportunity to introduce music via a keyboard/guitar while teeth issues are in the equation. Usually 9 to 10 is a great age for brass.

There are a lot of good teachers on this forum, so listen carefully to their advice.
    Cheers,

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    BTW Maynard Ferguson started on Violin....so strings can lead to wind.

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I remember donating a cornet to a 5 year old (he wanted a trumpet, I talked the mom into cornet as it is the same general instrument to the child but easier to handle) I heard later he was playing daily and even sleeping with it! Another Louis on the way? :-)

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    So do Brussell Sprouts ...... :roll:

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I highly recommend getting your son a private teacher to prevent him from developing bad habits, a college trumpet major is tomorrows teacher, so if he/she gets their diploma this year or next year won't make them any less a valuable source of instruction and knowledge of the trumpet and music.

6. samsplace

samsplace New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Such helpful info to wake up to this morning!! I really appreciate the insight and suggestions. I was rather disheartened yesterday with the presumably sarcastic response of the Carnival of Venice, however, even that has proved valuable because I googled it and now have a wonderful playlist in YouTube for my son to watch!

We put the learn trumpet CD on the kids' ipod and he will sit and listen to it over and over, while tapping out the beat. Seeing him that intent and obviously getting the beat, meanwhile all self directed was the moment I knew I had to start doing more to help him learn.

There is a good chance he may want to take violin since both of his sisters are doing so. Piano will be soon, thanks to a generous father in law (a likely source of their musical genes), we have his beautiful baby grand in our home. I am so blown away by my kids and am thankful that we pulled our oldest out of public school in order to homeschool 2.5 years ago. There is no way they would have the time or interest to pursue music they way that they have if we were still held captive to the public school schedule. I feel like we are spending their college savings on private musical instruction, but maybe that will pay off in the form of a scholarship??

The only thing I know for sure is that I want to stay engaged in encouraging a love of musical learning, yet walk the line tenderly when it leans toward forcing them into something they do not want. Right now they all three want it so we are doing our best to provide all of the help that we can.

7. Skiingfool

Skiingfool New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    Get him a teacher. If you don't, he might develop bad habits.

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Your video requires Quicktime which is not on my computer so I will have to go to another computer and look at it later. But, I have grandkids around that age that are interested in playing. I would recommend that you do everything you can to encourage and nurture the interest - even passion - that he has. It sounds like you have a musical family and so the chance that he will develop bad habits is small given even the most rudimentary help from an experienced player. In fact, from the opening frame of your video - which does show even though it won't play - it appears that his worst habit is going to be how to hold the trumpet since his left arm won't quite reach. Since you have already purchased a trumpet, that is something he will just need to grow into. I started mine on cornets as they are shorter and easier to hold but that is a minor point. It sounds like you have some talented kids so be grateful, help them all you can and keep posting those videos so we can see their progress (once we all have Quicktime installed).
    Thanks for the encouraging news that the younger generation are not all simply interested in texting and video games.

9. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    It might be worth considering a cornet for a child of that age because of the length of a standard instrument.

Keep your eyes peeled...Decent quality used cornets are available on E-bay and Craigslist regularly. Check out some of the threads on this site about affordable instruments...It's definitely worth looking into if he has a natural affinity towards trumpet. Both trumpets and cornets have essentially the same length of tubing when in the same key...the cornet is just wound more so it is shorter in length than the trumpet....The cornet will still train his mouth and ears without the strain of reaching so much. Transition to the trumpet will be as simple as moving to the longer instrument when he's able to reach it properly.

Brian

10. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009

.......about that