Any advice for me as a musician?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jealousofmyhorn, Jul 22, 2011.

1. jealousofmyhorn

jealousofmyhorn New Friend

Nov 28, 2010
    Hey Guys,

With never really getting private lessons until what may start soon, I thought I'd give you guys some information and see if you could help me out and tell me what I should improve on?

Well I'm 16 now in highschool. I play on a Getzen Capri trumpet, with the first valve trigger if that makes a difference. Usually I use a Denis Wick MM1C for my concert/orchestral playing and sometimes in jazz which with my range allows me to hit a high e on my good days. In Jazz I don't really know what to use between either a Bach 3c that I have or a Schilke 14A4.

So far for solos I've worked on the Haydn Trumpet Concerto in Eflat. And practice from from the Arban's book when I can. My real problems I have is I haven't learned to double tongue or triple yet for that matter, and that I have problems hitting notes above a high f on my 3c, also the fact that when it comes to soloing I can hear in my head what I want to play, and I understand the chords, its just getting whats in my head to come out of my trumpet.

Any recommendations on what I should be practicing and how to work on some of these things? Thanks

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Turn off your cell phone, put down your ipod, turn off the television, radio, Ipad and computer, put away all the gaming devices, kick your friends out of the house, find a room with no distractions and practice, practice, practice. Repeat for YEARS. If there is something you can’t play on the horn you need to practice it until you can. Getting a teacher is a good start ! PS, This is just my humble opinion...... PPSS the "High" f you talk of is not called high f when it's in the staff......just "f" . High f is an octave above that.....

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    Great advice:thumbsup:

4. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Practice makes habit, and bad habits are very easy to make. It is PERFECT practice that makes perfect.

It's just like anything else where learning how to do it "right" will make the difference between success and failure. I can't play golf, and I know that if I ever wanted to learn to swing the club and hit the ball, I need help - lots and lots of help.

Therefore, a qualified trumpet teacher is necessary to get on the right road to making progress. The best all purpose, all around mouthpiece you have among the ones you mention is the Bach 3C.

I do not think becoming a good trumpet player is a "do it yourself" situation. Someone who knows what they are doing has to teach you. Then, you can practice effectively and get somewhere.

My opinion...developed after about 45 years of experience.

5. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Sounds like you're really into your horn, so that's great. One thing not mentioned so far in this thread...I don't think you should think about range in terms of which mouthpiece you use. Range is range, and the more accomplished you get, the less you need to use the mouthpiece as sort of a crutch for hitting high notes. For example, I don't count myself as "accomplished" yet, so when I hit a solid high C with my Bach 1D I don't think too much of it. If I can hit that same note with my usual 5C, then maybe I'm getting somewhere, but only if I'm coming at it honestly, no tricks.

As for improv that matches what's in your head...well that's all practice practice practice...to the point where you're not thinking notes at all, per se. The scales, chords, progressions, have to be sunk into your mind/body so much as to not have to worry about them. No shortcuts there.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I would suggest to get a reserve option - meaning to learn a craft that is different than your music career path. Without being too negative, the competition is pretty wild out there. So you may/or may not find that you need a way out of the pro musician career path. If it happens that you cannot make a living by making music, you will have another way to do it, and still may go pro as a part time or an amateur to follow your passion for music and trumpet. Be prepared.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Practice everything. Lots and lots...

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

With a slight bit of hesitation, I disagree. To play,( practice ), for several hours with no physical and mental break is debilitating at your stage of development. Instead, practice with total concentration for about fifteen minutes and then, get your mind on something else while your chops rejuvinate for about that same fifteen minutes. Over time, you will be able to stretch these playing sessions a good bit, but, let your chops be your guide. The old athletes adage," no pain, no gain", does not apply to playing a trumpet. If you even start to feel the slightest amount of pain, STOP for awhile to let your muscles heal.

OLDLOU>>

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    excellent advice. Hopefully a teacher who can teach both classical and jazz. They'll need to play both professionally

10. jealousofmyhorn

jealousofmyhorn New Friend

Nov 28, 2010
    I was referring to the "f" that is above the "c" above the staff, I assume that's a high f?