Any advice for me as a musician?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jealousofmyhorn, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Try a few different mouthpieces ( and maybe a few professional horns ) and see if that improves your range. Send us a clip or youtube posting so that we can evaluate what you need.

2. jealousofmyhorn

jealousofmyhorn New Friend

Nov 28, 2010
    Well going back to the mouthpieces, would guys say that using the Denis Wick MM1C is too of a change from using a 3c for jazz, and that for orchestral. I know its a pretty big mouthpiece but I like playing on it. Or what is your input on it?

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Yes - that is 'high F' (or, 'F' above high C). There is a lot of confusion about which note people are talking about due to very confusing and non-intuitive terminology and non-standard application to wind instruments vs the piano, for example.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When do we switch from naive player blindly doing what the teacher says to the budding musician starting to "live" the notes that they play?

We have had many posts here asking about musicianship. I will maintain that it has NOTHING to do with how far along we are with technique, breathing or chops. I will maintain that the musicianship part has to do with the brain and can't even be taught.

My personal feeling is that we start to play musically when what is in our head can get out through the instrument. At church on Sundays, we all have heard some beautiful voice from a person that has never had a voice lesson or formal music training. Those people are on receive and transmit at the same time. They hear the tune and REACT to it. There is no concentrated effort to SING at that moment.

Brass players can also have this gift. For it to start creeping out, only a bit of playing quality is required. The very few successful DIY trumpet players that I know all have this gift and have managed to scrape together enough technique to make the natural talent apparent.

The key is what I mentioned above: to have the tools available at your fingertips without having to think about them. Have habits developed through decent continued practice routines. Be on transmit and receive at the same time!

My advice to brass players: get musical impulses from elsewhere. I listen a lot to voice: the real group (The Real Group), Ella Fitzgerald, Kingssingers, Manhattan Transfer, Hilliard Ensemble..... I also listen to Mnozil Brass. This means to get a life - full of MUSIC, keeping the receptors and transmitters constantly open for new and interesting stuff.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Call me an old codger. Call me a curmudgeon. Call me somewhat impatient with some players of today, both young and old.
    I want to know why the 16 year old poster plays three very different mouthpieces and yet says he cannot double or triple tongue.
    I am going to do something I hesitate to do and that is give advice on this website.
    Young fellow, take your huge MMC1 (Maurice Murphy's personal model was not an MMC 1, it was the smaller MMC2) and put it somewhere you can't easily get to it. It is likely much too big for you. Take your 3C and plug it in your horn and leave it there. I suppose you can carry your 14A4a as a spare, but don't use it.
    Your Capri is a fine horn. You don't need to try other horns or mouthpieces to see if you can get more range. Neither are going to give you any more than you have already.
    If you don't have an Arban's, get one and begin at the single tonguing exercises and learn them. Then move to the multiple tonguing section in the order they are in the book. Practice slowly. Speed up as you improve.
    Go on youtube and listen to the great players. Severinsen, Mendez, Vizzutti, Herseth, Smith, Vacchiano, Armstrong, etc.
    If you can, get a teacher. A GOOD teacher.
    I suppose it was easier years ago. I had a Bach 10 1/2C and some off the wall 7C in my case in high school. Used the 10 1/2 on everything. Didn't know about all those different specialty mouthpieces and didn't care. I just played.
    You have to work at this to become something. Make a weakness a strength and watch how fast you develop.
    Rich T.

tedh1951 likes this.
  7. jealousofmyhorn

jealousofmyhorn New Friend

Nov 28, 2010
    Coolerdave - I usually play for a total of maybe hour and a half to two hours a day, But not straight more like a play for 15 minutes, set down the horn out on my bed, I'll work on something and then just pick it up and play some more.. Not all the time is just practicing excerpts and all but just playing.

richtom - the 14a4 I have because it was my dads, The reason I had invested in the mm1c is because i felt that personally the 3c was small for me, so I went played some mouthpieces and I felt like I sounded better on that so I thought I would work on that and try and use it. I don't plan on getting a new horn or mouthpiece for the range, I was just asking in terms of what I have I know a horn and mouthpiece don't make the player. Also the reason I haven't learned double tonging or triple, Is mainly up until now when i'm looking at more complicated solos I've never come across a piece where I needed to do that I could always just single tongue it. but I've been working on the double/triple.

Also I do listen to a lot of performers, Chris Botti, Wynton Marsalis, Armstrong, Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, Tine Thing Helseth, Alison Balsom, and etc. (sorry if I misspelled any of those names.)

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    One of the instruments I now have (again) is a pre-owned Getzen Capri Model 509 (as has the 1st valve trigger). If the majority of the part I was to play in a song (often dubbing for a clarinet) was above the B on the center line of the staff, I too would favor a 3C and otherwise for total coverage from a low F to a high D I do OK with a 5C but would prefer my Parduba HJ 4.5. Although our 4th of July celebration here was a weather washout here I had planned to play George M. Cohan's You're A Grand Old Flag following the playing of the The Star Spangled Banner. I was prepared to do so on the above Getzen. It's a very good "beater", but I would prefer a first valve slide saddle to the trigger.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    One of the instruments I have a pre-owned Getzen Capri Model 509 (as has the 1st valve trigger). If the majority of the part I was to play in a song (often dubbing for a clarinet) was above the B on the center line of the staff, I too would favor a 3C and otherwise for total coverage from a low F to a high D I do OK with a 5C but would prefer my Parduba HJ 4.5. Although our 4th of July celebration here was a weather washout here I had planned to play George M. Cohan's You're A Grand Old Flag following the playing of the The Star Spangled Banner. I was prepared to do so on the above Getzen. It's a very good "beater", but I would prefer a first valve slide saddle to the trigger. Double and triple tonguing I was taught by holding my mouth open and placing my tongue behind my upper teeth and then flutter whistle (or simulate doing so). Doing this seemed to allow me to make the transition to the mouthpiece.

10. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Find a teacher.
    Close the books, close your eyes, and play. Do this on a regular basis until you can play what you hear in your head.
    Listen to non-trumpeters as well (I grew up listening to Desmond).
    Read Rowuk's post several times, he makes great sense.