Any advice for performance problem?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BHSBrass, Jun 11, 2008.

1. BHSBrass

BHSBrass New Friend

May 20, 2008
    Hey all, this thursday I am going to be performing at my local music store,every thursday they have a open mic night and I duo up with my father a guitar player and play some tunes.

The problem im facing is one of the pieces I am playing is I dont know how to love him,from Jesus Christ Superstar.

We pretty much wrote a small trumpet part to accompany a guitar and vocal but one of the licks is written for flute and it jumps pretty fast through a series of notes from a middle line A to a high C#.

I can play the lick really well on solo trumpet but the song calls for a cup mute so I am not to overwhelmingly loud, and I cant really reach the C# without getting a horrible tone or no results at all due to the added backpressure I suppose.

Should I just play the lick with the mute and hope it doesent come out to bad or go with no mute for a clean sound but a possibility I will be to loud even with the others mic'd.

Any tips for playing the high register with a cup mute? Or any thoughts at all really. :dontknow:

2. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    take it down an octave?

3. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    Maybe try a different mute - maybe a harmon (without the stem in) - see if you like the sound.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The only thing the AUDIENCE cares about is the musical presentation. If the mute doesn't work, you are proving NOTHING by using it.

You now have an additional requirement though when you are in the market for a new mute.................