Any bouncers here?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by FlugelFlyer, Aug 12, 2005.

1. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    I'm thinking of bouncing as a weekend job while in this year of college. Anyone have any experiences when it comes to the craft? I'm definately small, 6'1" and 170 lbs, but I can keep my calm and have good situational awareness from walking the streets of Chicago while I was ten and not getting kidnapped (long but equally boring story). I've also learned how to avoid fights, but if worse comes to worse, I'm pretty much a traditional boxer, but I know basic arm-torquing holds and can throw a very sloppy throw on a 200+ lb person, thanks to growing up with a particularly built older brother who loved to use me as his sandbag and learning how to deal with it.

Anyways, anyone here have any experience they can share bouncing bars? How to get the job, etc? Thanks!

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I worked as a bouncer in college at a college bar in Boston. At the time I was 6'3", 240. Really, it wasn't that bad, I only had to break up a few fights and get physical a couple of times. One time though, a guy connected and caught me in the side of the head, that wasn't too cool. The worst part about it was that the bar where I worked had no bar backs, so after closing we would have to carry full kegs up these ridiculous stairs. But then we would stay downstairs and get wrecked until the sun came up.

3. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK

To do such a job, you really need to look the part. I mean if you're not a big guy forget about it. I'm pretty handy if a situation becomes violent, but at 5'10" and 12st6lb I would never consider becoming a bouncer. The reason is pretty simple: I don't look dangerous, so if a guy picks a fight with me he's generaly surprised when he gets his head kicked in. That's not much use when your job is to turn people away without them becoming violent. People need to think: "this guy's much bigger than me, so I'd better keep my head down".

Leave bouncing to the big guys, get a bar job. They generaly pay better anyway.

4. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I dated a bouncer once... she attracted way too much attention. Especially when she ran... :lol:

Sorry... couldn't resist... I've had a rough day on the J.O.B.....

Ladies... please forgive. :oops:

5. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    At the last Show Choir competition I was at, they made me the bouncer of the stage door...there were guys trying to check out the girls changing areas on stage....so I got to stand in front of the stage door and make sure they didn't pass.

At 5'4" and 124lbs...I was rather intimidating....lol.

Lara

6. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Thanks for the responses guys!

Re: intimidation factor, I forgot to mention that looking and talking like Peter Steele (with short hair) probably doesn't hurt.

7. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    I am 6'5 and 230 pounds and worked as a bouncer for awhile. Wasn't that hard,probably cuz' no one messed with me. The other bouncer was only 5'11. I think at 6'1 you'll be ok.