Any brass quintet tributes to metal bands out there?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FlugelFlyer, Jun 30, 2005.

1. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Don't know if there are any orchestral string players here, but there's a Finnish cello quartet called Apocalyptica that started with an okayish tribute to Metallica, then went on with their own origional material and these days come across as one of the best metal/metalbilly bands out there.

That got me thinking being the metalhead I am, are there any brass ensemble tributes to any of the big metal bands out there, perhaps the big five of the 90's (Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, etc.)? If there are, I'd love to hear of any.

2. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I'm not sure about metal, but the Synergy brass quintet plays a few ska charts, really fun to listen to.

3. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    this is something that my quintet could probably get into. I have two members who like arranging, the stranger the better, and I would love some ideas to bounce off them.
    This could be fun!

4. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    If you do, just do me a favor and try doing the Mog Ruith material. Six straight minutes of double and triple tounging on each song will test anyone. :D

5. timcates

timcates Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas - USA
    not metal as such..... but, the group Rhythm and Brass does a cool piece written by their drummer that incorperates elements from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, the Wizard of Oz, and another band that escapes me at the moment (they did the piece at ITG this year) -

I've only heard it once a couple of years ago and it was really great - it's great writing made more interesting by the urban legend tie in with Dark Side and the Wizard of Oz (if you start the Dark Side CD with the 3rd roar of the MGM lion some moments of the film are synchonized to the Pink Floyd album...........(makes you wonder who discovered this and how under the influence they were...)

6. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    Well, I just listened to Mog Ruith. Cool stuff, but you'd need a drummer, and the vocals......well, I would not be able to do those unless I had slammed a delicate part in a drawer or something. I think I'll pass on Mog Ruith...
    I think brass quintets do need to try different things, more in the direction of the Dirty Dozen , or the Zappa stuff that Meridian Arts has done.

7. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    I'm trying to do such a thing right now actually, except finding people who are willing to try it out is the challenge. The Inquisition Symphony album from Apocalyptica seems like something that could work with brass if the tuba can hold the bass, the trombone / french horn or trombone / euphonium can hold the rythm guitar riffs, and one trumpet acts like lead guitar / second harmony and the other is the melody line. Sounds like I think too much. :oops: