Any business out there that get paid to transcribe music?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    I want to pay someone or a business to transcribe a song for me as i am having some trouble.

Anyone know of any company that does this?

2. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    That could prove to be legally challenging as print rights are treated differently than mechanical (recording) rights and performance rights and thus need to be obtained from the copyright holder separately from either.

If you're down with skirting the law you can hire a music student to do it for you (but please keep in mind that it's hard enough to make it as a musician with so many people completely disregarding copyrights), or better yet you can legally transcribe it yourself, which is a very good skill to have anyway. It's not difficult to learn, though perhaps a bit tedious at first until your ear develops.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Generally, s/he who hires another to violate the law is usually found equally guilty. Transcribing what you hear has a grey area at law IMO (Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer or Justice) in that notice of copyright is not given / ascertained, exception being from a CD which reveals the circled C copyright imprint, as just as likely appears on other audio media.

Otherwise, to hear a musical note and precisely identify it is a skill that even not many professional musicians have, and even if they could play it, some couldn't identify it as to put it on sheet music.

4. VentureScore

VentureScore Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    As a composer - more so than a performer these days - PLEASE, take the time to locate and purchase the music you're interested in. If you can't find it - drop an email to the publisher, ask if it's available. PLEASE.
    As part of a larger musical family, think before copying - in any format.

I will now step off my soap box - and return us to our regularly scheduled furum :-)

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    There are no laws prohibiting someone from transcribing music for personal use. As musicians, we do this all the time.

The OP wants someone to transcribe music for him/her (presumably for personal use). Again, there are no laws prohibiting someone from doing this.

However, it would be illegal to transcribe music and then to distribute it (for free or for money). But that's not what the OP is talking about.

Regarding VentureScore's comments. I agree that it would likely be cheaper to purchase the music than to pay someone to transcribe it. I can only assume that the OP wants something transcribed that is unpublished.

Mike

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    For personal use, or in an accredited school program, true these are exempted from copyright law. That said, then they cannot be played in public, commercially, or further distributed with or without fee or payment. If such is a new song composition, and hand written, even I could do it under contract with Finale 2012 and reproduce it in a PDF format. Still I agree that it would be much cheaper to obtain an original if it has been published and copyrighted and then too such still requires a copyright license to perform it in public or commercially in any way. Usually the Harry Fox agency handles all such for those enrolled in ASCAP, and otherwise BMI may handle such copyright licenses. Not all music is represented by either of these.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree with TrumpetMD. Transcription is a great way to lean to play and is a teaching technique used by many professionals. I learned from Claudio Roditti in this way. He ONLY gave me transcription assignments for my lessons, and I would transcribe the improvisational solos of many artists. I would bring these back and we would play trough them, then pick out defining phrases and lean these in every key. These manuscripts were never sold. The lines transcribed have since become a blended part of my own trumpet playing voice. So I would say that Transcription is not a moral sin, and in fact is a tool, as long as there is no intent to sell or make a profit from the action.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You know, when I write a song to produce on one of the Quintet's CDs, I always officially copyright the works with the National Library of Congress (there is a form for this service on their website). They request the composer send in a copy of the manuscript with this filing. My question is, does the National Library of Congress then distribute a requested manuscript at a fee for purchase (as per copyright law)? If so, this could also be a source of purchasing manuscripts assuming the composer used this NLC as their legal method in validating copyright.

9. VentureScore

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I hope I didn't come off as a "primadonna" - sometimes it's hard for me NOT to get on this particular soapbox. I agree with gmonady, transcribing a solo, analizing, is a valuable tool.

10. VentureScore

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    My understanding for LoC is:
    I can go in, and look at a piece of music, evan makes notes about it.
    There are no copy machines available.
    They WILL make a copy for a user - IF he/she brings in written permission from the coptyrite holder / Publisher stating that it's OK to duplicate.

I hope that helped.