Any business out there that get paid to transcribe music?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Apr 29, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No you did not. Your point is well made and needs to be reinforced as we composers should be compensated at fair maket value. This is why I also register ALL my compesitions with BMI as they handle the distribution formulas as to pay outs for pieces that are used for comercial purpose.

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Accurate transcription is a learned skill. I know many otherwise capable musicians who are inaccurate transcribers

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Succinctly NO! LOC is not a retailer of copyrighted music or any other media. When something is copyrighted LOC will send a Certificate of Copyright to the holder of that copyright and such is the only legal validation that is required. You cannot lawfully use the circled C indicator of copyright until you receive this Certificate. Too, when you apply for copyright, paying all the fees, there is no guarantee that a copyright will be granted vis if it near to another work.

As a learning experience, LOC has published on their website copy of lots of public domain music. Sadly, little is for trumpets and most is for piano or strings. Scores for complete orchestra are all but non-existent in their holdings.

I've spent many a day while disabled from the time they opened until they closed in LOC when my wife worked in the credit union at 300 Independence Ave SW DC.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thank goodness this is not related to spelling ability or I would be in a heap lot of trouble getting anything transcribed. It does take a lot of practice, a good ear, and an mp3 player with a very user friendly reverse button. I also find it easiest to use my digital electric piano for the most accuracy.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Got my certificates all filed away, and it was NEVER a problem to have my work validated. The fee has gone up from $45 when I first started filing to $75 the last time I filed about a year ago. With our Quintet's new CD coming out, hopefully soon, it looks like I will be submitting 3 more songs to the LOC. I expect to have the certificates pronto as before, unlike having to wait for the VA to get medical evaluations approved, right Ed.

6. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    You are spot on.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Never had to cope with VA for medical evaluations, but you don't want to read my vent and rant about the footprint of the Government on medicine and this forum wouldn't allow it.