.Any critique? for self taught palyers.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Feb 12, 2012.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Here's a couple of videos of me playing some really easy tunes, i would like feed back as to what you consider any faults i have or areas where i could improve. Ive been playing coming up to 3 years and never had a lesson.

Is it cool to be able to say i'm totally self taught and have never had a lesson? should i keep going as is or get some lessons quick. It's really just bragging rights! lol.

Which leads to my main question... Would it be "virtually" impossible for a person to become a professional concert musician, without ever being formally trained?

New Project 3 - YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKYjAh_LFas

also sorry to cody and anyone else i upset in my last posts, i was just trying to lighten things up on here, which lets face it can get nasty sometimes...:-?

xjb0906 likes this.
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Technically, the notes are there. It lacks feeling. Notes are not held out full length, phrasing is cut short. To put it into perspective, would you recite the words this way:

Sumer Tim/ an da livin is esy/

Or would you sing this:

Summeeerr timmmmme and the livvveennn is eeeeasssyyyyy...

See this is the way your phrasing should be. Then we can go to the tone. It is monotonic kinda like:

Bueller? Scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off Movie (1986) | MOVIECLIPS

Is it cool to be able to say i'm totally self taught and have never had a lesson?
    No, after hearing this video, it is not cool.

Should i keep going as is or get some lessons quick?
    No, don't keep going as is. You should get some lessons after researching out who you feel you can best connect with, who will inspire you. A quick fix may blow the wind out of your sail.

I truly hope this feedback is helpful, and let me relate to you how much respect I have for you in posting this video. It shows a maturity that suggests you will do right with the advice you seek.

xjb0906 likes this.
  3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Its all good bud.

You are on your way to being a great player. The only thing I am going to say is that you seem to play off-center with your mouthpiece. You might find it easier to play in the center of your mouth or it may be harder. Depends on how you learned to play. I want to say more (nothing bad) but I am going to limit myself.

No, it is not impossible to go pro without being trained. It would be easier, but no its not impossible. I would look into getting a tutor or finding a community band where you can get some help.
    Best of luck,
    Cody

xjb0906 likes this.
  4. the newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Thanks, yeah your right i'm thinking a teacher would know how i can make my breathing more efficiant and therefore my phrasing and holding notes would get better. my breathing is pretty bad.

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Get a teacher. ALL OF US can benefit from time spent with a talented teacher.

Find an ensemble to play with. Learning to play in time, in tune, and blending with others will help develop you as a musician. You get points from me for having the courage to post anything on an internet forum.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I will say -- you got some BRASS to put a video up in front of this crowd!! --- I am sure you will get some credible, and corrective comments.
    Now whether anyone agrees with me or not -- here is what I would do, if I were you. I would seriously think about the position of the mpc on your lips. I used to play off to the side like that (perhaps even a bit farther) -- I did switch to the center -- and I played off center for 7 years ---it was difficult and long suffering switch.
    Many will say to NOT switch -- I just say (look at long term, what you want out of the horn) -- the center of the lips is the vibrating spot you will need for higher range (((AGAIN on this TM, many have, and will disagree with that -- and ultimately you decide))))

another thing -- I do work on, and would work on if I were you -- would be "soft long tones" --- I know that is in most of my posts -- but it seriously helps with tone, and breathing, and endurance and such --- YES -- you still have to do everything else (slurs, tonguing, phrasing, musicality) -- but good tone, doesn't come without a sacrifice and time, and more time.
    I personally think -- that for 3 years without a teacher -- self taught -- then that is NOT bad playing ----- on the perspective of it is only 3 years starting from scratch -----and that is my opinion, that you asked for.

and I think Cody will tune in here -- I think that for a young teenager -- he is very mature, and can accept that some of us adults -- behave in a less than totally mature manner --- and that is another opinion.

CODY apparently posted while I was slowly posting and beat me to the draw -- but it looks like KT was right once again about a poster --- and CODY, already made his statement -- before this old fat guy was able to type the post , I am so slow, I should be called turtle or something ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  7. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Yeah you breathing was not relaxed enough. Trumpet is a difficult instrument to play. So don't feelt too bad. I think I saw your water key leaking in the video...If that is the case get it fixed because that will take a lot of air out of your lungs. It will also screw with your intonation.

If you are in San Francisco there ought to be a number of teachers to help get you going. Just don't expect miracles in one or two lessons. A half hour can get you in the right direction but you've got to do your homework.

I'm getting ready to get lessons again but not from the public education sector. I quit playing in band during the 8th grade. Since then my chops/site reading have gone to slop. It's a hard instrument to approach but its rewarding.

8. the newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    yeah my water key is leaking, is that bad? I noticed that but just thought it was normal. Hmm.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My middle name is Many. Do you NEED to switch? No. Check out videos of Chris Botti. You going to tell him he needs to switch KT? Work on phrasing as a priority as your tone is fine. I am not sure how changing your embouchure is going to improve on your phrasing.

See, it took KT 7 years. This is what made him fat. Got so depressed in those 7 years, he ate like stink! And then he had to use an Asymmetric mouthpiece to even get a sound out of the horn. Ask yourself this... Do you have 7 years? AND if you answer yes, start weight watchers and get a gym membership NOW!

You need more than long tones. Long tones get blood circulating to your lips as a warm up excercise. You need to go beyond warming up.

KT I know one turtle, and he is a Jimmy, and KT you are NO turtlejimmy; but yes, you are slow, which basically allows the OP to cut to the chase as to credibility of this advice.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    No, you will want that to get fixed. It is like a hole in a water hose. It can cause a buzzy sound and spit might leak all over your pants and I hate that.