.Any critique? for self taught palyers.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Feb 12, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    WOW -- surprise, surprise, surprise -- Gomer Pyle -- agreed with me on one account --- soft long tones ---- how bout that Newbie?? I told you ahead of time that people would disagree with the switching to the center, and the vibratory mass, and suppleness of the little protrusion of vibratory material in the center of your lips ----- that's OK -- just whistle out the side of your mouth ----or do most people whistle out the center???????????????

again Newbie -- I clearly said -- you decide!!!!!!!!!!! and we have 1 in opposition of that already -- so funny, that I predicted that. Oh well, your in the army now, .............................. ROFL ROFL ROFL
    Golly Sargent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree with Cody, a leaking water key is not a good thing, and I would recommend taking it to a trusted trumpet repair technician (or urologist - just in case you are talking about another water key).

3. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    yeah but do your lips actually vibrate when whistling or is the just funneled really tight? Good point!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Newbie, try it... Whislte. Feel the muscles involved. Then buzz you lips without a mouthpiece. Where is the air stream focused with each trial. Different muscle use results in different focus. KT's logic does not work here. Again, focus on phrasing, changing embouchure will delay this priority.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Newbie, try to play in the center and see how it sounds. It will feel weird, but you may notice a huge improvement.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I don't know -- but I think they have to vibrate -- actually if you can whistle with vibrato -- yes, I am sure mine are vibrating -- but you try and see. Then whistle out the side -- where your mpc is --- I think you will be able to see a difference. Anyways -- years ago --- flexibility and range, were brought to my attention by someone --- and I agreed, and I made the effort to "center" things ----BUT IT IS ALWAYS YOUR DECISION --- and that was just a point, to bring to your attention -- based on my past experience ---that's all.

7. the newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    also aside from my teeth, my lips have like a little recess where they meet in the middle so there is no vibratory mass in the center "so to speak" to play with. when i try to it just has a dull buzz.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In time. Do you have this time? It is your choice on where to set your priority. Once again, I do not think tone is your problem at this point.

9. the newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    When i whistle its just air, im pretty sure there is no vibration of my lips because i can also whistle just through my teeth using my tounge to change pitch, okay its not as loud but i can still whistle a tune... Interesting.

10. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Brave of you to post your video. Your tone has no feeling as was said before. The picture behind you is Chet Baker. Listen to Chet playing " Let's Get Lost ". Lessons will get you on a good path for a lifetime of enjoyment. I have never had a lesson....I don't think Chet did either. I've played 1st trumpet all my life through HS, College and The U.S. Coast Guard Band. I would have taken lessons if we had the money back then though.