.Any critique? for self taught palyers.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Feb 12, 2012.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yes, this is not an overnight change. You never know, it may be a bad switch. I know some players that can play great on the side of their mouth and sound like crap when playing in the center.

2. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Well i think Rowuk said it best one time when he said something like, the mouthpiece position/emboucher will tend to naturally gravitate to the right spot. as regards teeth/lip shapes.

I'm pretty sure i will always play off center, essentially its the only way i can. My lip center is just stiff dead lip tissue, might be really good for trombone or something with a huge mouthpiece, which is another thing,,, i haven't settled on a mouthpiece yet. Im kind of alternating between a bach 11c and a bach 3b. for various reasons, the 11c i can go higher longer the 3b i can player lower fuller..

But i still have a looooooong way to go! as regards to everything!

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    PLaying in a vacuum rarely makes anyone at anything great. Playing with a superior player allows a proper perspective and proper technique. Whenever you read about the GREAT TRUMPET PLAYERS they all had mentors. This is applicable to everything in life. I'm glad you started to play, now go for advanced mode and you will see greater progress.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It sounded choppy and without feeling, more like an exercise than trying to communicate the feeling/meaning of the song. You do have stones though!!! Work on playing legato phrases and it should help you with chopping off the notes. When you've "mastered" that, throw in some vibrato for style. Getting a teacher will help you attain your goals faster. They already know what to do while you're figuring it out.:thumbsup:

All is well! :-)

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I think having a teacher is like having a GPS for your car. Can you get to a place without it? ... sure but it might take a lot longer.
    A good instructor can really speed up your progress and can catch bad habits before they become a problem.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Thank you Newbie for paying attention. Forget the crap about moving the mouthpiece. It comes from those with NO IDEA about what can break. The most important part of the quote was:

When we play the things that are good for us, the embouchure will gravitate to the most efficient position. I consider correct breathing and body use to be the first things to make this work. After that, actual playing things like long tones, lip slurs and easy tunes. I consider technical studies to be dangerous if the basics are not stable. I think that monitored practice (=lessons) is very important until good basic habits are stabilized. After that, we may be able to get by, but education is a never ending story. I am 55 and still have a mentor. He hears things that I don't because he is on the receiving end.

To all of the young, inexperienced. You don't get "points" by posting as if you know what you are talking about. It is so obvious how full of it you are. Maybe Facebook is a better place to blog crap because no one that really knows better is watching. The young players that get the most respect here are the ones asking the intelligent questions and then running with the answers. Cody, you need to take a break.

8. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I think it's definitely not too bad, especially having been self taught. I struggled with many things my first years, being self taught, so I know it can be a struggle.

I'm always a advocate of improving tone --- find your sound. I'd say you're on your way, but long tones will help you out I believe. (I don't think anyone can go wrong with those)
    Also, do your best to listen to other great players, and think of how you want your sound to be, in your mind.

I'm also with Toby on working on trying to get what you play to sound smoother, more musical. I know it's a challenge when you're still working on playing the instrument, but I think the more we pay attention to playing MUSIC and not notes, the better MUSICIANS we become (I think Rowuk may agree with this point).

Again, keep it up Newbie! Good courage on the post.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  9. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Oh you HAD to go there, didn't you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQjfv4LHQ68&feature=fvsr

I don't know about anyone else, but that's a Huge inspiration for me.

Anyways, that's pretty cool that you posted that vid of your playing. I was thinking of doing the same myself, if I had a webcam or something.
    I would just say, it looks like you're playing off to the side, and yeah.....get that water key fixed. I changed mine and noticed a big improvement.

[Edit] Oh, I missed what you said about it not working if you play on center....never mind that part.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  10. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Geez, man. I didn't notice Cody stepping out of line, or running at the mouth. What I noticed was him kindly, humbly, and gently making a suggestion...participating in a DISCUSSION....a "web" discussion at that. And when more info came to him, he acknowledged what Newbie said and agreed....and everyone learned from the exchange.

Man. I really like playing my horn. I get really inspired when I do. It doesn't always work that way when I come here.

kingtrumpet and codyb226 like this.