.Any critique? for self taught palyers.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Feb 12, 2012.

1. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I'm with Gary on this one. Try to play more lyrically, or play it as you would want to sing it. Think about the words as you are playing the notes. This helps me. If I don't know the words, I can't play the tune properly. Maurice Murphy, the principal trumpet for the LSO said this during a masterclass video I watched, and it has stuck with me since :
    LSO Masterclass - Trumpet - YouTube
    I understand this is easier said than done, but you'll get it with lots and lots and lots and lots of practice. Phrasing, phrasing, phrasing! That said, I am not a professional, I am an amateur trumpeter, but a seasoned musician. So take this advice for what it is worth to you. Kudos on posting a video, I've wanted to do this for a while but I haven't had anything that I thought was good enough yet. Good luck to you, find a teacher that inspires you and don't quit no matter how frustrating it is.

2. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    There is an old saying that goes something like this. A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client.

I know of two famous players who basically learned on their own. Louis Armstrong - the genius of jazz and Bobby Shew, another incredible trumpet player who can play anything. Not to be mean, but you are not either of them. In the book on Vincent Chicowicz, the legendary player and pedagogue, many of his students became world-class performers in different genres, yet even with their incredible skills, some would come back for what Chicowicz would humorously refer as a "10,000 note check-up" because these world-class players had noticed some issues in their playing. Chicowicz would point them in the right direction and they would go back to their great playing.

Get yourself a teacher and do NOT change your mouthpiece position without in person advice from a good teacher. There is a big difference between discussion and real experienced knowledge and that blind advice might ruin whatever you have already accomplished.

You need to use your ears and listen to great musicians. Listen to Sinatra, Bjorling, Holliday, Fitzgerald, Herseth, Balsom, Andre', Vacchiano, Severinsen, Marsalis, Armstrong, James, Streisand, and any other great musician. These people are musicians who make music come to life.

Find a good teacher! If you need to adjust your embouchure position, let the teacher guide you. Many trumpeter players play off to one side. Find a picture of Jon Faddis and take a look where his is. Then find some cuts of his on youtube. He certainly doesn't need to change his embouchure, does he? I am reminded of the Farkas book on embouchure with pictures of his colleagues in the orchestra. Some embouchure "experts" saw those pictures and stated some needed to change their embouchure to be successful. The problem with that blind observation was these pictures were of the Chicago Symphony brass section! They needed to change nothing.

You have received some solid advice in this forum. Follow it.

RT.

tobylou8 likes this.
  3. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Haha! Great analogy. However, I've been sent on some ridiculously superfluous routes by GPS as well.

4. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Thank you guys for all the advice, i think that through time and more practice my emboucher with become more stronger and i will be able to make more efficient use of the air. I also need to get that water key checked out, i wonder could it be fixed myself? As soon as i can afford it i will go get lessons and also go get a new mouthpiece, i want a bach 5c or 7c. Something thats in between what i'm using now.

A mentor would be cool, someone i could go to every couple of months just for a check up as you say...

These videos are just of a couple of easy songs i know. I have performed them better than that and worse! lol.I know about 12/15 others off by heart. I do try to play with lots of emotion and sing the notes and throw in little improv bits here and there, and yeah my phrasing sucks. I'm not a very good reader yet, as i taught myself how to read as well, but its getting there!

I wanna join a community band but i never went to college, and didn't have a band at my high school.

At the minute i'm spending most time on learning and memorizing the 12 blues scales, i love them!

Ill probably keep posting videos of my progress, expect to see a lot better!!!

Thanks.

5. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Oh...one thing I just thought of. Are you studying a method book? I'm studying my old method book from elementary school. It was printed in 1967, and is old and yellow. It's taking me a lot longer to play through than I thought it would, and the further I get into it, the slower the progress, but that's ok with me. It has scales, exercises, and repertoire...and, of course, it's teaching me theory and reading. A good, balanced, progressive beginner's method book would go a long way in providing structure and balance to the learning process.

As for that water key, I changed mine myself. It took like two seconds...flip the old ones out with your fingernail, and gently press the new ones in. ..bought the parts online. I also tried changing the water key springs. The first one, I messed up. The second one, I found a video online, and that one worked out, so that job got kinda half-done, but the improvement was noticeable with just changing the corks....just gotta make sure one gets the right size corks.

The couple-of-months-mentor thing is a great idea. Especially since you didn't take band or anything.
    The community college is a GREAT place to go!...no experience needed. They might even have a nice beginner's class, and it would be hard to find a better way to get into really playing in the real world. That's where I'm going, once I play through this book.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You need to have better breath support. Take in a big, full breath and meter the outflow as you play. Your low register needs a fuller sound, so practice in that range, too. A too-small mouthpiece can make the low range difficult, BTW. Summertime has no sense of time...the beat isn't there. Using a metronome (or an inexpensive tuner with one built in) is a good way to develop a sense of time and rhythm as you practice. Keep at it - things will come as you work on your playing. Always try to play musically. When you get a little better, find a local concert band to play with. That's a good place to progress as a player, and you can also see what not to do in some cases...:D

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A third "on your own" learner was on the poster behind you... Chet Baker. But he spent HOURS a day learning on his own, so well that he could reproduce any note or phrase he heard. Unless you have the time to do this, I recommend not. A teacher will help you develope your skills in real time.

8. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    yeah but lets not forget Chet baker was in the army bands for quite a few years before. and he would practice 4/6 hours a day there. Its cool you guys noticed his poster... its like he's watching over my back. (which might not be a good thing cause he was far from an angel! :))

yeah i have a method book, I picked up a copy of Arbans at a thrift store for $1.75! a couple of weeks ago and i'm gonna start into that soon.

I think lip slurs helped me a lot, going from C to G to C then E and back down. I can hit a G on top most times i try but get a little hesitant and tense up when i try to go high. i have the chromatics all down and can play from low f# to C well and quickly. im pushing my D an E at the moment getting them sounding good, F i can get most times but sometimes i lose it, then i go put in my 11c mp and am able to hit all these notes easy up to a G on top. but never for very long. i sometimes dont rest enough, ill just start on something and can play it for 30mins or so before resting, probably not a good idea but just cant stop! love it too much!

I play a yamaha ytr 6320s think is was made in 97? These are supposed to be shilke clones i think apart from the valves? which sucks because my valves act sluggish at times, actually most times, but it plays well and slots nice, a lot better than the 1932 martin troubador i picked up for $60 that i started on for a year, still have her.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    what an intellectual stimulating idea from someone who obviously has never had to reposition a mpc, or understands the personal trials that one might encounter from doing this --- YES, many things can go wrong -- but many things can go terrifically well.
    So you might want to "sift through the crap" that supposed professional advice freely gives out on TM -- some of it is good, and of course some of it is really CRAP. -- and Newbie -- be selective about a teacher --- you will find the same thing in teachers -- some are very good, and others take your money and offer you advice that is pretty much CRAP!!!!!!!!

10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    It is time to stop listening to the internet community and get that teacher. It is hard for any of us to say what is crap for this individual concerning mouthpiece placement.Without spending personal time with Newbie how could anyone say what is working and what isn't? How many of us are really qualified to make that determination? I am not. What is crap will be determined by Newbie and his teacher.

Newbie,
    Get a teacher. Look for answers that tell you what is real. Don't take it personal when the teacher tells you what is lacking. Take it as an opportunity to work on needed areas to improve. Always go to your teacher looking for instruction. You are not there to impress, but to learn.