.Any critique? for self taught palyers.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Feb 12, 2012.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I have been asked to be in a band by the bands conductor, who i met as i was buying my Yamaha at private dealers house here in SF, Ivan said i was born to play the trumpet, and im not sure if thats just because he was trying to sell me one LOL! But Steve who happened to be there at the time liked my tone and asked me to come to practice which i did. The band was the Golden Gate radio Orchestra, based in a church hall in san mateo and they play old classic show tunes and radio tunes from the 20/30/40s. he actually gave me a cd and printed out sheet music to about 20 of the songs they play for me to learn in 1st 2nd and 3rd parts, and dropped them off at my house. The songs i liked where "Lazybones", "stardust" "guilty" "cherry", "it had to be you" and songs of that ilk. i found the music too hard for me at this time. But they are a great bunch of people who are keeping a part of american music alive. Ill definately be back with them as i progress more. i just didnt want to blow clams and annoy eveyone so i would just sit there maybe play the first few notes on a phrase etc so not to get in there way lol.

2. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Also the whole..."I taught myself" thing is really only possible because of a thing called the internet. If it wasnt for a site called trumpetmaster and all the great people on here, and videos on youtube, it would be a lot harder than it is these days!

3. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    Agreed!
    (47 for me).

While I'd not want to discourage any new adult (or any age) player, I think Newbie needs to be realistic. Lessons, LOTS of practice, maybe a community band (as someone suggested), more practice and lessons and THEN think about something like a cruise gig. Maybe, if he happens to have a LOT of natural ability, in addition to lessons and PRACTICE.

I think one problem here is that so much current popular music in 2012 is relatively simplistic, not terribly difficult to play and is often done by "singers" or "musicians" with little or no training, or much of a level of accomplishment. Playing a brass instrument well enough to expect paid gigs is something that is going to take the average person a lot longer than, say, buying a used drum set and learning some rock beats (and no disrespect to percussionists is intended). I did about 10 gigs with a guy who had bought a Bach in a pawn shop, pretty much taught himself, and considering THAT he was not REALLY bad. But the only reason this guy was doing paid gigs was because it was HIS band that he started, and most of what he did was sing. Kinda sing, I should say. And he WAS a decent front man, but on trumpet, he never would be hired by anyone, other than maybe to do a few freebies here and there.

Newbie, keep at it, but get some lessons and realize that this is going to take effort and time.

Brad361

4. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    There is some truth to that (the internet), but also some pitfalls. We have a tendency to sometimes put credibility into things we read on line, just because they are on line. That is not to say that this site, and others, do not offer great information, but we all need to remember that just because something is printed on line does not guarantee it's validity. And that is especially true for YouTube; ANYONE can post almost ANYTHING there.

Brad361

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Re: Any critique? for self-taught players.

Newb,

Welcome to the world of trumpets, trumpeters, and TM!

Have fun with the horn.

Wear what you want.

Lessons are a plus! Weekly ones a ++

For a single guy who may have the trumpet bug, well worth it all :)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    King,
    I teach evolution in trumpet playing. The mouthpiece is part of that. With the proper exercizes, things migrate to a more efficient position. FAR better than doing it by eye with lack of experience. Telling a player to move a mouthpiece over the web is not helpful in any case except for some of the youtubes that I have watched. There moving the mouthpiece to the garbage can would be a major improvement.

The qualified teachers here would not post move the mouthpiece. They would offer to help the student in finding a far more efficient way of playing. Part of that journey could be a new embouchure - but not to start with.