Any experience with Online Lessons?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ryancibc, Dec 14, 2009.

1. ryancibc

ryancibc New Friend

Nov 8, 2008
    Canada
    Has anyone on here taken online lessons before?

I live about 3-3.5 hours away from anywhere that I can take a live lesson from an accomplished teacher.

I am considering online lessons as an alternative to no lessons at all. I assume that the best lessons would be in person vs online.

How is sound and visual quality?

If anyone has taken lessons I'd like to hear your experiences

Thanks

Ryan

2. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    I would think that the same points are relevant as in taking any independent study or on-line course for any subject through any school.

Quality and cost vary from teacher to teacher, from school to school, so get people to recommend on-line teachers or courses that have the best reputation among past students.

Like you said, in-person lessons are preferable, but in your situation in-person lessons are not an option, so the choice is on-line lessons or no lessons at all.

Are you looking for general lessons or lessons for specific skills,
    and at what skill level?

For range development, for instance, I would rather have 1 on-line lesson from Lynn Nicholson than 20 lessons from Joe Blow at the local shopping center's "piano sales and music lessons store".
    Trumpet Lessons with Lynn Nicholson of Las Vegas, Nevada

So in that case, I would opt for the top-quality on-line lessons even if in-person lessons were available locally.

Dean

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm an "old school" player who grew up in the sticks. If a good teacher is only 3.5 hours away, what is the big deal?

A "real" teacher can hear you and see you in 3-D, and give you a dope-slap if you need one.

Seek out a real, in the flesh, teacher first.

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    And if you spend a day in travel back and forth once a month but the teacher is able to help you and give you enough material to work on, it will be worth it.

I've heard from people (although I haven't participated myself) who have taught and who have had some on-line music lessons, although not for trumpet, and they've said they're good.

One thing you can investigate are some of the on-line "how-to" videos and see if you think you can gain anything from them. Eric Bolvin has a bunch which you can watch for free and even though it's not interactive, you can watch/listen/learn and then practice on your own. The good thing about things such as Eric has posted is that you can watch them over and over again to see if you've missed anything, or after having practiced them, to see if you think you're doing them properly.

5. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Jeff Purtle - Purtle.com as well as several others do on line trumpet lessons. He uses live video via AIM or Skype - you need a web cam and microphone . . . he can see and hear, and zoom in . . . in an article I saw somewhere he said something like "I can zoom in close, in a way that would be awkward in person."

Over the last year and a half or however long it's been, I've had in person lessons with one local teacher - of a good reputation - but had difficulty making a mutual schedule with him, and on-line lessons for the past six months or so. I was leery at first, but this has turned out to be a good solution for me. I've a qualified teacher with a good background, organized teaching methods, and a regular routine to follow between lessons. And, he has noticed things that I didn't think could be picked up over the internet . . . During the previous week, I'd noticed something different about how I was playing, easier/less effort, and I didn't say anything to him about it, and he commented "you seem to be more flexible, and something about sounding the way he wants me to sound." Now I would not have described it as more flexible - but there was a difference that both of us noticed - and he, 3,000 miles away.

Add to that, I've had lessons from my hotel room when traveling on business. (With a practice mute, but still. . .)

Something to think about.

6. tptmusicaz

tptmusicaz Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2006
    Arizona
    I haven't taken any personally, however another great one to look into is Adam Rapa (www.adamrapa.com). He uses Skype as well.

7. ryancibc

ryancibc New Friend

Nov 8, 2008
    Canada
    Are you looking for general lessons or lessons for specific skills,
    and at what skill level?

I would be looking for general lessons. What skill level??? I'd like to say that I am somewhere between Maurice Andre and Wynton Marsalis.... I wish! Tough to say. I played for 9 years (6 with a teacher) took 7 years off and have been back at it for 2. I'm a really good amature???

Traveling to have a lesson means using a vacation day as the lessons are during the week. I get 15 days a year. If I used 12 of these days to take lessons I'm sure my wife would no longer be my wife. I think the term is Ex-wife at that point. lol Monthly lessons I do not think would be frequent enough to properly motivate me. Ever not prepare enough for a lesson? I did that once. Only once.

I should probably convince my wife that we need to move lol

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Great thread. I've considered on-line lessons, but I'd also like to hear some first-hand feedback before I make the investment...

9. ryancibc

ryancibc New Friend

Nov 8, 2008
    Canada
    Thanks are you studying with Jeff?

10. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I'll send you a PM.