Any experience with Online Lessons?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ryancibc, Dec 14, 2009.

1. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lots of us offer online lessons through Skype... ;)

2. 3 weelin geezer

3 weelin geezer New Friend

Feb 27, 2009
    Hmm...Pay? Well, if its convenient and fun to do, why not? Online lessons would be as easy as you put in study time. I have looked into that and you have to submit recordings of your peice for grading.

I prefer to try learning a new song I hear. On Youtube, radio, whatever. Sometimes it comes out right, but others...well, I am going to have to ask you not to throw a shoe if you hear me in the dark. :) I figure that the best time to practice is during commercials. Thats what they were invented for anyways. If you count how much time they waste, thats almost 1/2 hour of every show! Thats 30 minutes of wasted time I will never get back, so why waste them?

3. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing here.

We're talking about live video chat session here using a tool such as Skype or AIM's video session. The teacher can see an hear you, give you instructions etc. You can ask questions, play and have him listen real time, etc. In a lot of ways it's almost like in person, however there are some differences:

1. The sound quality may or may not be affected by your equipment, the quality of the session etc. In my most recent lesson, my external speakers were damaged and unusable, so we used only the internal speakers on my laptop - hard to hear, so I turned the sound all the way up, and he turned the gain on his mike up. The sound coming my way was distorted, and I had a tough time hearing. He said he could hear me fine, but there is always the potential for the situation reversing itself - however, I imagine he's got plenty of spare equipment in case of such a problem.
    2. Because it's on line, it makes it possible to have my lesson wherever there is an internet connection - so I can travel, or whatever, and still have a lesson.
    3. It broadens your field of potential teachers to select from. If there is noone locally who fits the bill, you can still have a quality teacher.
    4. It is reliant on technology, and technological problems can definitely impact the lesson.

For the most part, it works well. If I could arrange it, I'd do 1/4 of my lessons in person - just for the "confidence factor" of knowing that my teacher is really hearing everything that comes out of my horn - that something is not lost in the transmission. But, since I can't have that, I'll work with what I have, and hopefully if I have opportunity here and there, (say if I travel back east on business) arrange an in person session - or even attend a brass camp.

4. 3 weelin geezer

3 weelin geezer New Friend

Feb 27, 2009
    I am referring to method books that have the iPas software. I was looking for this and came across their video where they show a teacher grading the work. It may be that this is geared more towards the middle school student though. With that said, might they offer classes at a local college? Here, they offer guitar instruction but its during my working hours only so thats out the window. :( I wish I had taken that guitar or band class in HS! I sure had a lot more time then and didn't have to work!

5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Many teachers offer online lessons these days. I can't think of any reason why this shouldn't be a productive way to study. Sure, your equipment will affect the sound involved, but a good teacher can still tell what's going on.

Compare this to NOT getting any help.....no brainer, right? Plus, even if you live in an area with lots of teachers, online lessons allow you to get teachers that one would never have access to any other way, other than studying at the college where these guys teach.

I've heard nothing but good things about online study, though I've never taken lessons online myself (I've never taken any lessons except when I was at college). I'd say go for it. Hey, if you feel after a while that it's not worth it then just stop and go to plan B, right? Seems like you can't really lose by trying it...

bigtiny

6. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    Nick Drozdoff from this site gives online lessons I believe. You can check with him as well. His user name is NickD.