Any famous Kanstul players???

Discussion in 'Horns' started by drac, Jul 2, 2004.

1. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    I know Wayne Bergeron plays the 1600WB, well I guess he would just call it a 1600 :lol: and Claudio Roditti plays the ZKT 1525 Flugel but are there any other reputable players playing Kanstuls?? I guess I am surprised they don't have more endorsements. Your thoughts would be appreciated......

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I know what you mean but in the end does it really matter?

The really important thing is whether you like the horn, not whether somebody else does. Emulating these guys is admirable by using the equipment they use but ultimately WB doesn't sound like WB because he uses a Kanstul (or a Yamaha). He sounds like he does because he has talent and worked very hard to develop it. Doc's endorsed about a dozen horns and plays whatever he's comfortable with..the real lesson is that its the player not the horn he/she endorses (nothing new in this arguement).

The cynic in me looks at endorsements and says if I earnt my living playing trumpet and XYZ global corp offered me money to appear in an add with one would I? Yep absolutely, if it was half decent and I was secure in my ability as a player I'd probably play it as well!!

Just my take on it.

Regards

Trevor

3. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    There are several players that play Kanstuls - especially the 1525 flugelhorn. Kanstul is a relatively small manufacturer and Zig does not do many endorsements. I believe the endorsement with Wayne came about because Wayne has known Zig for a long, long time and he happen to catch Wayne during a time that he was becoming well known. Zig does not actively pursue players for endorsements. Even Waynes deal with Kanstul was pretty weak. He got his horn for free and any extra horns for friends for cost. Not exactly big time bucks. Kanstul does make some great horns that pro players play. They just don't get into the endorsements.

Mike

4. Kanstulbrass

Kanstulbrass Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Thank you for the kind words Mike. However, Wayne did indeed pay for his horns.

Zig Kanstul's policy of no endorsements works in our favor: those who play our horns seek them out and buy them because the horn is that good. They play our instruments because they recognize the superior characteristics of the horn.

Some players who own/play/perform/record with Kanstul horns? Gee I'd like to name names, but many of them have contracts (often with a clause stating that they cannot play horns from other manufacturer). I can tell you that you'd be surprised at what many artists really play, Kanstul or otherwise.

Regards,

5. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Charles is right

I have known of many players to stray from what they are supposed to be playing

All the players you see on our website have bought also!

They play Eclipse because they want to

We are too small a company to pay anyone for doing this, we rely on the fact that we can make great horns that people will WANT to play, not HAVE to due to contractual obligations.

We pay for nothing! no clinics,no travel costs, NO NOTHING

I have bought a couple of them a Burger though at the "HUNGRY HORSE" pub around the corner from the workshop :lol:

Regards

Leigh

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Worse yet is the players who get paid to be "sponsored artists" and then choose a different horn and have someone engrave it with the sponsor's name and call it a "custom" [insert sponsor's name] horn.

How many different companies has Doc been with?
    How about Maynard? -- especially mouthpieces!

No, if you select a horn because of endorsements, your criteria may be skewed.

I respect companies like Kanstul, Eclipse, Shires, etc. (not leaving any out on purpose) whose horns stand on their own.

On a related subject, my dad is a retired golf pro. Many of them, even the local pros, are sponsored. You would go to a tourney and see a pro with a Titleist bag (called a staff bag because the were on the staff of that company) with some other brand of clubs in the bag. My dad really disliked pros who did that. He would only be sponsored by a company if he played their clubs and balls, not because they gave the best incentives.

Jim

7. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    I'm going to be one of the trumpet section squad leaders in my school's band this fall and we (the other squad leaders and myself) thought it would be cool if we could get a mouthpiece manufacturer to sponsor our section this fall. We're at a major university in the South and will have approximately 50 trumpets this fall. Does anyone think it remotely possible to get sponsorship for an entire section or maybe just the lead line in exchage for advertising on our section tshirts, section website, etc.?

Who knows, it might just be a big pipe dream.

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Matt,

A bit off topic. Send me a PM, I might be able to help.

Jim