Any female trumpet players here?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    my wife is a great trumpet player, was playing Napoli, Bride of the Waves, Arbans' Carnival and others by the time she was 9th/10th grade but was always facing the the trumpet is a male thing. She only plays once in a while in church and is basically burned out. My hat is off to any female who decides to play brass instument. it seems like you gals have to work a little harder to achieve the same recognition as a guy. She was in high school during the 70s and I understand it is a little better out there now for girls.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    the community band that I will be joining next week has 6 out of 14 trumpet players who are women. The next closest community band in another town has a woman director, who has a master in trumpet pedagogy and teaches at a local College that has a music school. Woman trumpet players are NOT in short supply in my upstate NY area ---- As a comebacker (and a man) - I am certain most play above my level ---- then again that is LESS intimidating, as I hope that the women have a more congenial nature when welcoming ME to the trumpet section. Women brass players have my vote!!!!!!!

3. trumpetgoddess96

trumpetgoddess96 New Friend

Nov 23, 2011
    I'm a female trumpet player, (if my name didn't make that obvious) and I'm the only girl in my jazz band too! I had the same kind of thing on the first day of class, because nobody in the class knew me and it was like they didn't know what to think of me...ROFL

4. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Hey Guys and Gals
    Check this site a Girl only Brass Band

boobsandbrass

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I appreciate the spirit of this reply (that of wanting to be inclusive), which is a good thing. But for the sake of balance, I'm going to take a different perspective. What we need are more women (and men) doing what they want to do. If they want to play the trumpet, that's great. If they want to do something else, that's okay too. Let's not create unnecessary gender expectations, or imply that not meeting those expectations is bad.

But back to the original theme, when I was freshman, the lead trumpet in my high school band was a woman. I had the opportunity to play with her for 2 years. She was a great player, and an early role model for me. We live in separate parts of the country now, but reunited last year (thank you Facebook). When she came to town to catch one of my concerts, I couldn't figure out why I was so nervous. Then I realized it was because I was playing for my former section leader.

Mike

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    trumpetmd - when I was a sophmore our section leader was a girl because our band director didn't care about the sex of a player but the ability. my wife went to a school in a different town and her 2 high school band directors didn't think girls belonged on the trumpet, and this was 12 years after me. it just shows how small minded some people are even though they are supposed to be educated. when I met my wife she was the lead player in a dance band [I played 3rd] and I didn't care if she was a girl I admired her ability. I also ride motorcycles and am glad to see more female riders out here [including my wife].

7. snazzycornet

snazzycornet New Friend

Nov 22, 2011
    Well not necessarily a "trumpet" player but I play cornet and am the best in my high school. Gotten some heat over the years (mostly about playing the cornet but rats on that) and I honestly think that women are making a comeback. May not be as common to see PROFESSIONAL female trumpet players but if you take a look around the high schools you'll find that it's not as uncommon as it once was to see a girl playing a brass instrument. I've met a bunch of them through all sorts of different bands and there's a lot of talent out there even if they don't pursue music as a profession.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and YET -- since I am nearing the 47 yr old age group --- I started my adult life (late 70's, early 80's) in the prime of women's liberation movement here in the states (for sake of NO argument that movement started in the late 1800's and continues today) -- but anyways in the 70's and 80's women began to transcend the "stay at home mom/homemaker" to pursue ALL areas of interest in all fields (scientist, doctors, trumpet player, astronauts, etc.) --- the point I am making is that in that era --- Like my Mom used to tell me --- "A woman has to be twice as good as a man at her chosen profession to get half the respect, wages, and advancement that a man does (did)......................... so I think I agree with Mike --------------- let women choose their passion, and their area of expertise, and then let them excel at what they want to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Great name...kinda like the "All Blacks". It's sad that in the age of PC, you'll not see names like this in the US.

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Check out "The Diva Jazz Orchestra". Liesel Whitaker (lead trumpet) is a founding member, not to mention one of the best lead players around. She also plays lead for the Army Blues.