Any female trumpet players here?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Oct 3, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Home | allblacks.com

uh ---YES people I am sure trumpetdreamer was referring to the New Zealand Rugby team, and had no intention to infer any affiliation or discrimination against any peoples of color, or lack thereof. I am certain that TD would be inclusive of women playing rugby, and has no intention of offending anyone of gender or color that would like to play rugby.. I am certain that TD was not offending the PC crowd of the USA --but if he did offend the politically correct movement --- who really cares???????? ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    If any established professional women trumpeters are reading my post...I'll marry in exchange for culinary work and domestic servitude :)

I don't believe the trumpet should be assigned a gender role. Art is art. The question should be asked why more women aren't pursuing brass instruments....

3. CuriousMe

CuriousMe New Friend

Jan 2, 2012
    New York
    Hi Christine, I'm a female trumpet player. I'm just picking up my horn again after almost two decades, so at this point I'm only barely a trumpet player, but I'm working on that:roll:

Back when I was in school, not only was I the only female trumpet player....I was the only female brass player in the entire school district! :D it made the guys really grumpy when even as a freshman in HS, I beat them out for first chair, but I supose I was doing them a favor and giving them a character building experience :cool:

Truly most of the guys were great (well, once we got past Jr. HS where they nicknamed me "the girl":roll:) and I'm friends with many of them to this day. I was very fortunate, my parents and all of my band directors never discouraged me in any way from playing trumpet. Really the biggest challenge was acceptance from the other trumpet players. By mid HS, we had worked that all out and were good friends.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    CuriousMe -- there are lots of comeback players on TM -- so you can do it, and I as a comebacker am convinced that you can actually be better than you were 20 years ago as a trumpet player. comebackers play the trumpet so nice, because we have done it twice ---ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. CuriousMe

CuriousMe New Friend

Jan 2, 2012
    New York
    Thanks for the encouragement KT :cool:

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    your TRUE encouragement will come when YOU realize that you are back at the trumpet -- and YOU CAN PLAY once again, and you enjoy it, and you find an use to play for an audience to inspire them!!!!!! I quit the trumpet for 10 years --and am back for 3 -----------------and better than ever ------------practice, rest, patience, don't get frustrated, comebacks are slow and can be frustrating - but it doesn't have to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Some years ago one of the best Brass Bands in the world, left the UK to perform in the USA. They were asked to change their name! They refused.

The band was The Black Dyke Mills Band. (now just Black Dyke Band). :cool:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I don't blame them for not changing their name. The politically correct version would be "Aboriginal Women With Facial Hair Band". Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    C'mon -- that wouldn't work either --- I once said a comment to my Sister-in-law ---"you would look a whole lot better if you would shave your upper lip" ---------and NOW I know, that is not something you say to a woman ---------------Lucky I got a sister in law to learn this stuff on,,,,,ROFL ROFL ROFL

and this helps the OP -- how??????????????? uh, some men don't mean to be rude, obnoxious, and pigs --- we just say what we are thinking --without actually thinking about what we are going to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. litia725

litia725 New Friend

Nov 17, 2011
    Florida
    Hi I am! Almost my whole section in the band I'm in is a girl(and we're the top band in the county, besides the arts middle school)!