Any flugelhorn tips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by snazzycornet, Jan 8, 2012.

1. snazzycornet

snazzycornet New Friend

Nov 22, 2011
    Hello I recently bought a flugelhorn and was wondering if anyone had any tips before it comes. I have always played cornet and recently been playing some trumpet. Anyone have any tips for techniques or anything flugel specific?

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    you have to wait until you get the flugle ---probably have to adjust "your blow" -- in other words my flugle is lots different in the amount of air it takes compared to my trumpet --- but other than that they play pretty much the same ---- the flugle is less responsive above the staff, but then again, it's a flugle, meant for mellow tones anyhow.

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Play it like you own it.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Snazzsycornet -I've been playing trumpet for almost 50 years but bought my first flugel several weeks ago. I'm finding that easing back and letting the horn "play itself" is the main change I am making. While you need to keep air supported, it doesn't require the effort that the trumpet does. Again, backing off works better for me. Best of luck.

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    And, make sure you find the right mouthpiece for the horn! Many flugels will sound like a trumpet if you are not careful with the mouthpiece selection. I'm partial to Denis Wick and Flip Oakes mouthpieces. Good luck!

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Ditto trumpet dreamer. Flu gels have one of 3 tapers. You need a mouthpiece to match the one you buy. Go to Kanstul website and look in the mouthpiece section for an explanation.

7. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Try to change your approach to playing. Play relaxed, both mentally and physically, and get comfortable with the horn. Don't "attack" the horn, be subtle.
    Definitely make an effort to find a mouthpiece that suits you, and choose one that lets the notes "speak" without effort.
    Good luck, you'll enjoy it.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    lace lingerie not leather and studs. A flugel wants to be stroked, not beat into submission. Could be the beginning of a love affair!

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Steve, does that realisation change the way you approach your trumpet? That's EXACTLY what Dave Monette and Jason Harrelson say in their climation instructions - I think.