Any flugelhorn tips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by snazzycornet, Jan 8, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Relax... put a lot of breath into the notes (especially the low ones)... and it will become the sensual lover of your tone.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This does not have to be the case... You can use the unique slotting function of the flugelhorn to make emotion sing above staff... Kingtrumpet's problem is that he has a staff infection... He hides it with that paw covering his face.

3. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I agree with a lot that's been said so far. I will also add this: Listen to some of the flugelhorn giants! My personal favorites are Roy Hargrove, Art Farmer (flugel and flumpet), Clark Terry, Till Bronner, and Claudio Roditi. All of these trumpeters are absolute MASTERS on the flugelhorn. Also - even though I'm not the biggest fan of him - it is a necessity to listen to Chuck Mangione. Miles Davis also dabbled with the flugel once in a while...and plenty of the other jazz giants did as well.

Listen to some of these artists on the flugelhorn and get a bit of a feel of how this beautiful instrument can be played!

Good luck and have fun!

Kujo

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes, gmonady is a case all right -- head case --- Maybe it will depend on your flugle -- I've got this Yamaha flugle --- it does sound good, but definitely takes lots of air to make "full" notes, and definitely it does not respond above the staff --- it's good to the A (1st ledger A) --- but not above!!!!!!!!!!! low notes are great though ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I played a musical once that had high C#s written for flugelhorn, Not a problem. You just have to learn how to play the flugel up there. It can be a little squirlier that the trumpet up high. Just takes control.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Squirlier??? you are going nuts man ----ROFL ROFL ROFL ---- it must depend on the flugle ----anyone want to trade -- even up for a Yammie???????????? ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have the same upper range on my flugelhorn as I do on my trumpet. It gives a gentler sound to the high notes (refuse to call it a squeal, perhaps a giddy girl's giggle or a lover's pleasure sigh) and this effect really defines my flugelhorn technique as has been reported in favorable reviews of our quintet.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wow --- I don't think I would put all of that in the same sentence to DEFINE my fluglehorn technique -- but hey to each giddy girl's giggle must a level that all Getzens fall to!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    I was told its worth getting a flugel. Is it? And which one? I was wondering what you (snazzy cornet) and what you think of it. I don't know which to get, and I don't want to spend power $2000

Thanks

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Trumpetguy27 has a Getzen Eterna 4-valve Flugel he is selling in the $700 range, not a bad price. It's going for about $1,800 new, with a good deal. It is the one I am currently using and is a fantastic horn that I highly recommend. Here is the link to his post:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f212/getzen-896-4-valve-flugel-66076.html