Any good Arbans studies?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetplayer231, Sep 19, 2012.

1. trumpetplayer231

trumpetplayer231 Banned

Aug 31, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Other then the characteristic studies which i do all the time, any studies you guys like to play just for fun or for prepatory sight reading? If you can tell me that would be great!

2. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    All Arban studies are good.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Not really studies, but all of the solos in the back are good sight-reading material, as well as something to work on after sight reading them.

Mark_Kindy likes this.
  4. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    The whole third appendix of the Arban's method has been amazingly written. I'd play through all of them and then work on one or two characteristic studies and solos to perfection, or to a standard as perfect as possible.

5. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    I play the melodic and harmonic minor scales in the Clarke Technical Studies for Cornet book. Why? Because this was Maynard's suggested daily routine. On top of all his abilities I always liked his improvisation though the critics often panned him for showboating. Nonsense.

The interesting thing about regular use of melodic and harmonic minor scales is that after a short few weeks of studying them you actually start sounding a little like Maynard. Might not give you his register but tone and blues-wise you will mimic.

So definitely play the minor key scales in Clarke. There is a free download here though you need to register: Clarke, Technical Studies - Free Download from 4shared - FilesTube.com

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    On that note, I have an app called scales and modes which has all the scales that I know of, and many I don't. I learn one new scale pattern everyday and it really shows in my improv.

7. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Work on exercise in different sections
    such as
    chromatics
    embellishments
    intervals
    triplets and 16ths
    major and minor chords
    7th chords
    double and triple tongue

then take exercises from each and progress through various key signatures and expand your range through the various exercises.

8. stupido

stupido New Friend

Jan 31, 2012
    I have a question Arban's. Which version should I get? I had the big red book but I loaned to to a neighbor and he took it with him when he got evicted. The music store only had that one version. I looked on Amazon and saw several, including one with a CD. So which one do I get?

9. Avan

Avan New Friend

Mar 9, 2012
    Page - 125

10. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Transpose the songs in the back of the book, before the characteristic studies and duets.